Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Dish remote no longer turns on volume or turn TV off - TCL 6

Hi @tk6,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to investigate this issue further. May we know when the issue started?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tk6
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB 

These Dish remote issues started immediately after the Roku TV software was updated from release 12.0 to 12.5.0.  

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tk6,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We'd like to gather more details. Could you provide us with a photo of your dish remote? Including the serial number and the make or model of your dish remote?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tk6
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB ,

I have two remotes.  Both were initially using code 535 for the Roku TV, and both stopped working after the TV software upgrade.

The TV is a model: 8116X - Roku TV.  Software version 12.5.0, Build 4176-48.  GC Version 10.2.518.

Thank you.

Remote1.jpgRemoteBack.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @tk6,

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us!

Please check out this support article here.

Let us know how it works.

Regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tk6
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB ,

Thank you for the article.  The article does mention to use codes 535, 645, 556 and 1756 for the Dish remote.  Perhaps, the article needs to be updated to include code 538, since the TV software version 12.5 uses that instead of the ones mentioned.

To be fair, I do not remember if I had to program/learn additional TV remote buttons into the Dish remote when the code was set to 535, as I bought the TV 3 years ago.  Dish remotes sometimes do not have all the original remote buttons pre-programmed. 

However, I am glad that code 538 restores the original remote functionality that was there with code 535 with additional learned buttons.  i.e. The non-programable TV power button works again, without having to program another remote button to use as a power key.

Thanks again.

nevadaboy
Channel Surfer

i dont believe the dish remotes controlled much, ive had them for over 15 yrs an just used them for volume on the tv besides the satellite functions. but it took me 4 days, 3 bandaids & half my hair lol inputing various codes until i decided to just start at 500 and work my way up, when i got to 538 it worked so i stopped.  538 is my Christmas present to all dish users!

0 Kudos
Pam111
Reel Rookie

Wow thank you so much nevadaboy for posting your solution!  That 538 code worked for me too!  

However I’m very disappointed in both Dish and Roku for not figuring this out and helping us though. I spent half an hour with dish support and all they did was send me a new remote to program. Then I came here and found this post. 
btw I have the same remote as the one pictured above. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.