Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

The Roku app will not connect to other devices using a hotspot on the same phone. My guess is it's an iOS restriction for security reasons. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrapStar

Jump to solution

Guys the SECOND METHOD truly works. I just tried it with success. Thank you smart dude

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Can u tell me wht remote I may need just thru serial number. The standard tcl remote thts not the new pro chargeable will work without wi fi I understand.  I bought this new rechargeable and it won't work as tv must be connected to the web in order to pair. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

If you have a TCL Roku TV, you have two remote options. One is the standard TV IR remote. Note that the TVs use different IR codes from Roku players, so you must get a TV specific IR remote. But every Roku TV (regardless of manufacturer) supports all versions of the Roku WiFi remotes. This includes the Voice remotes. This Roku support page provides the steps to pair a new remote to your Roku TV. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m stuck, my daughter lost both of my remotes and I really want to watch tv in my room but I can’t connect to the WiFi because I changed routers and I didn’t update the password into my other tv. I hope the Roku app gets updated and there is a way to connect from the app!! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Ingrid_Wilk wrote:

I’m stuck, my daughter lost both of my remotes and I really want to watch tv in my room but I can’t connect to the WiFi because I changed routers and I didn’t update the password into my other tv. I hope the Roku app gets updated and there is a way to connect from the app!! 

There's nothing that can be done to the app to make it connect to a Roku that isn't connected to the network. It requires a network connection for the app to communicate with the Roku. Your only option to connect a Roku to a network is with a remote. And if you have a Roku Stick, then it MUST be a Roku WiFi remote, as the Stick does not support use of an IR remote. If it's any other model of Roku player then you can use any universal IR remote that has codes for Roku players. You can find them almost anywhere that sells electronic devices like the Roku, and many are under $10.

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Setting your new router to the same SSID and password as the previous one will also get your TV connected.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Third method is the best option to “trick” your device to connect. I used it and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
ItsJustLes

Jump to solution

I’m needing to know which remote I need for my Roku adapter

model number is 3810x

There is a second model number which is WR001

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku 3810 is the 2017 version of the Streaming Stick+. Any of the Roku Voice Remotes will work with that player. The basic IR remote will NOT work on any model of Stick, so you must use a voice remote.

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.