Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlieH2
Reel Rookie

Cannot connect remote to device and now won’t work at all

My simple remote stopped working after a power cut, tried to reconnect but unsuccessful even after new batteries. I have since reset my Roku device and cannot now connect as the remote still won’t connect, I have the app which will not pick up the device because I can’t go through the set up process. Is there someone that can please help me 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Cannot connect remote to device and now won’t work at all

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @CharlieH2!

Thank you for reaching out. We'd be happy to suggest some troubleshooting steps to help you fix your Roku Players (simple) remote.

Firstly, is this the remote that came with your Roku Express? If so, when and where did you purchase it? Also, can you please confirm if blinking lights appear when you press any buttons on the remote? Furthermore, here are some ways to troubleshoot your simple remote:

• Make sure you can see the front of your device. Your remote must have a clear, unblocked line of sight to your streaming device. When the streaming device is powered on, you should see the status light on the front of the device.
  • Test your remote from various positions. Move your remote to the left and right while making sure it is always pointing directly at the front of your streaming device. If possible, move your streaming device to a position where it responds more reliably.
  • Do not hide your streaming player. If it is attached to your TV with the included adhesive strip, move it to a position where the signal is less likely to be blocked. Do not install it inside a closed cabinet or behind your TV.

If the previous tips did not fix your problem and you've already changed its batteries, please make sure to insert the negative (-) end of the new battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place.

For reference, you may check this support article: How to fix your Roku simple remote that is not working

Let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@CharlieH2, in addition to what Carly suggested, you can verify whether a simple remote is transmitting anything by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone.  Press buttons on the remote and you should flashes coming from the end of the remote on the camera's screen.  No flashes means dead batteries or dead remote.  If the remote appears to be working and the device isn't responding even at a close distance, the receiver in the device may have failed.  There's not much you can do about that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
CharlieH2
Reel Rookie

Hi thanks for advice still not working. The lights on the device are working but the remote still not 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for responding, @CharlieH2.

We appreciate you trying to troubleshoot your Roku remote. However, as we checked, the Roku Express linked to your account is no longer under warranty. You may refer to the support article dedicated to this: Where can I find the Roku limited warranty?

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.