Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James47
Reel Rookie

Roku will not connect with NON=ROKU Soundbar

Jump to solution

I have posted a similar question previously but thought it deserves follow up. I recently obtained a Roku Ultra to use with my existing LG TV and Samsung Soundbar.  Several people have offered "fixes" for  my issue. Unfortunately none have solved my issue. I was just informed by Roku Customer Support that Roku does NOT have the capability to work with a NON-ROKU soundbar. I also just tried to reset up my Roku Ultra device. During the setup I read a statement that basically said ROKU cannot work with with other soundbars. I replaced a Firestick remote which easily connected to my LG TV and Samsung Soundbar. I'm shocked Roku does not have this ability. How disappointing!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku will not connect with NON=ROKU Soundbar

Jump to solution

@James47 

It's not that the Soundbar is a non-Roku Soundbar why it doesn't work, the reason is your Soundbar is connected by optical cable, that's why it won't work. If it was connected via hdmi cable, a Roku remote would control the Tv volume by IR, and in turn the tv controls the Soundbar via CEC signal over the hdmi cable. Yes Firestick remotes can be programmed for audio devices directly, Roku remotes cannot. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku will not connect with NON=ROKU Soundbar

Jump to solution

@James47 

It's not that the Soundbar is a non-Roku Soundbar why it doesn't work, the reason is your Soundbar is connected by optical cable, that's why it won't work. If it was connected via hdmi cable, a Roku remote would control the Tv volume by IR, and in turn the tv controls the Soundbar via CEC signal over the hdmi cable. Yes Firestick remotes can be programmed for audio devices directly, Roku remotes cannot. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.