Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddyer11
Reel Rookie

Bought 2 Voice remotes in last 12 months and neither will hold a charge

Bought the second in August to replace the first bought in January 23. Want to pitch them and all roku products out of our home.  Either need a replacement or a fix and Im not paying for either. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Wood101

Re: Bought 2 Voice remotes in last 12 months and neither will hold a charge

Roku needs to get a better battery in the rechargeable remote. Believe that TCL makes thoses. Very poor batteries. Don't hold up. 

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Wood101& @ddyer11 -

I see frequent complaints of Voice Remote Pros that lose their ability to take a charge, but I've had my first VR Pro remote for over two years now and have noticed no loss of charge holding capacity or ability to charge. I don't know if I just happened to have gotten lucky and received a good one, or if my usage pattern has something to do with it.

Many (most? all?) rechargeable batteries deteriorate if repeatedly allowed to overcharge. Both my Samsung phone and Lenovo tablet even have optional features that will cut off charging before the battery reaches full charge to prevent or limit this deterioration.

I've always made it a point to disconnect my Voice Remote Pro from the charger when it reaches full charge, or slightly before. I especially try to avoid letting it charge unattended overnight. The charger I use outputs 2 amps and the remote charges fairly quickly. I check the charge level via "Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > About" on the Roku. If I don't want to exit what I am watching just to check the charge level, I just unplug from the charge cord and observe the popup on the upper right corner of the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ddyer11
Reel Rookie

You’ve assumed incorrectly that I don’t understand the deterioration aspect of rechargeable batteries and that I am leaving it, perhaps even using the remote, on the charger.  Regardless, two remotes failing in less than  12 months is unacceptable and both would be under the warranty.  Would you agree that if you bought two of anything within a 12 mth window and both items failed, that the problem most likely is in the manufacturing and not the using?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ddyer11 @Wood101,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're for this remote woes and we'd like to be of assistance here. Could you tell us if this the remote that came along with your device?

Does leaving this charged overnight help?

Let us know more about this so that we can help you even better.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos