Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CPRELISE
Reel Rookie

2023 Which Roku Devices Work With Infrared Remote Controls ?

I struggle to find any information of which present 2023 Roku Streaming Dvices work with IR, I none what is the newest model I should try and source ?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2023 Which Roku Devices Work With Infrared Remote Controls ?

The Roku Ultra, both Express & Express+, the Roku streambar, and the Streambar pro all work with IR remotes. I'm not saying they come with IR remotes, just that they respond to IR remotes. 

The only current models of Roku that don't work with IR remotes are the  Roku 4k & 4k+ Sticks. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@CPRELISE-

To be sure there is no misunderstanding, since some people erroneously refer to all Roku streamers as "sticks"...

The two Rokus in the current product line that @Tivoburkee refers to as not supporting IR are Roku Streaming Stick 4K and 4K+.  (The Streaming Stick 4K+ is the same Roku streamer as the 4K, supplied with a rechargeable remote.)   Streaming Stick products are normally used behind the TV where IR cannot reach so they do not have IR recepters.  All Rokus not specifically called Streaming Sticks do have IR recepters and can be used with Roku IR remotes.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092

And to add one more identifying tidbit: a Roku Stick can be connected directly to the TV, no cable required. If you have to use an HDMI cable to connect the Roku to a TV, then it's not a Stick and will respond to IR commands. 🙂

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
CPRELISE
Reel Rookie

Thanks,

yes I understand in most cases the stick would not work with IR though I was going to use mine with a IR blast cable from the TV itself. I returned the stick I bought and bought and Express 4K

Roku should improve their tech spec sheets as actually its not clear neither if this got IR reading their spec sheet 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@CPRELISE wrote:

Thanks,

yes I understand in most cases the stick would not work with IR though I was going to use mine with a IR blast cable from the TV itself.

No, in all cases IR doesn't work with a Stick. Using an IR blaster would not make any difference. The Roku device has to have an IR receiver to work with IR, and the Stick models don't have one. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Itsbeez
Binge Watcher

SEE MY LATER REPLY, AS THIS INFO TURNED OUT TO BE INCORRECT
My recent experience with both a Roku TV and a Roku stick (express) is that it is a mixture. For the TV, I can control pretty much everything except the Options * button (which brings up TV settings). For the stick, it's a few of the buttons, like Home, ffwd, options*, and others, but not up, down, left, right. VERY annoying

0 Kudos
atc98092

A Roku Express is NOT a stick. Completely different hardware. A Roku Stick plugs directly into the TV’s HDMI port. The Express requires using a cable. And a Stick will not work with an IR remote. 

Dan

Itsbeez
Binge Watcher

Okay, I learned more and will say that both my Roku TV and my Roku express are now working with my IR Logitech Harmony remote. Someone pointed out that Roku Express is not a "Roku Stick" and I won't argue, but many folks are looking for information and they call everything a Roku Stick, so I leave this here. For my Roku TV, the one button that I couldn't get to work (Options*, so on the Roku control, just an asterisk) is called the "Info" button in the Harmony software. For my Roku Express (not a Roku Stick, has a cord), I just didn't have things setup fully correct. I now have my IR Logitech Harmony remote running everything perfectly, but it takes some trial and error. From what I can tell, these two devices (not to be confused with the Roku sticks out there, but both widely used) they work fully with IR.

0 Kudos