Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisD2

Set up Roku 4K Stick to control volume of external soundbar.

I have a new Samsung smart TV, the external Bose TV speaker and a recent purchased Roku 4K streaming stick.  Is it possible to set up ONE remote which works for the soundbar and Roku?  The soundbar has optical and HDMI. The TV has several HDMI including one HDMI ARC.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Set up Roku 4K Stick to control volume of external soundbar.

The remote only carries IR codes for TVs. They cannot be programmed for sound bars or AV receivers. If you have CEC control capability with your TV and sound bar, your Roku remote might control the volume via that method. But it will not control your sound bar via IR. 

Let me add that you will never be able to control all three devices completely with a single remote. There are many TV or sound bar functions that their dedicated remotes can control that the Roku remote cannot duplicate. And since a Roku Stick will not accept IR codes, you can't use a universal IR remote for all three.

And just to be certain, your Roku Stick connects directly to the TV's HDMI port without using a cable, correct? If you are using an HDMI cable then it's not a Roku Stick. I had to add that because someone referred to their Roku Express as a "stick", which it is not.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos