Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Roku Smart Bulb's both Stuck on one color; can't factory reset, pair, etc.

I have two bulb... I'm not sure what happened, but they are both stuck on one color. I'm unable to factory reset, I can't pair the bulbs since I can't factory reset the bulb to allow pairing mode. 

I've tried multiple outlets, have turned on and off 100 times, taken out for 15 seconds a piece, tried everything. Have seen no remedy to this anywhere. 

Something has to work!?!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 2 Roku Smart Bulb's both Stuck on one color; can't factory reset, pair, etc.

Hello! @inf3ctious007,

A warm welcome from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

Roku Smart Bulb SE

Use the instructions below to factory reset your smart bulb.

1. Power on your bulb
  2. Turn the light switch off and on three times

If the reset is successful, your bulb will begin pulsing. If you need to connect it to the smart home mobile app again, refer to the Roku Smart Bulb SE setup instructions.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Inf3ctious0071
Reel Rookie

Re: 2 Roku Smart Bulb's both Stuck on one color; can't factory reset, pair, etc.

As I mentioned in my post-- I've done ALL of that and nothing works. Please read my entire post before commenting next time. @RokuArjiemar 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Inf3ctious0071,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused. Please send us a private message with your Roku account email address, serial number, and your current shipping address. We'll continue assisting you from there.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
n717mw
Reel Rookie

The following is information that I have communicated with the support staff on the Roku site:

As a physicist and an EE, I generally dig in deeply to understand the nature of problems.  I suspected that the ESP32 used in the Roku accessories to be at the root of the problem.  I purchased a new BS1000X bulb and conducted a test. 

I first verified that it would pair and function as expected.  Next, I set up a loop to break the connection at the router (precluding the MAC address) and then reconnect the bulb and retest.  I let this loop run for a day while I was at my office.  When I returned, the bulb would no longer pair.  

While I do not have access to the bulb's firmware, I suspect that the credentials that it stores are being written to a pool with limited address space.  Once it fills (or overflows) the bulb will never pair again.

This problem cannot be resolved by any actions taken by the user.  I notice that your support team continues to direct users to a set of remedies that will never be successful, and your actions are creating unnecessary bad will.  

I would suggest that your engineering team, or the team at the vendor where you obtain these bulbs reproduce my test to verify the behavior.  Assuming that you replicate my findings, I would recommend that you notify users that the number of pairing cycles is finite.

Thanks,

Kevin Halverson

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @n717mw,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your feedback. No worries; we'll share it with the team.

Regards,

Arjiemar 

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I was told I would be sent a PM but something happened to my account. But I am the OP and received an email requesting serial numbers, shipping info, etc. Please email me

0 Kudos
n717mw
Reel Rookie

Hello Arjlemar,

Thanks for the follow up email.  I will be interested to learn if your team can replicate my findings.

Kevin Halverson

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Inf3ctious0007,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

Please check your inbox here in the Roku Community with the new account you created, as we have asked for the information needed.

@n717mw,

We appreciate your feedback and suggestions. This has been noted, and if you need anything else, please let us know.

All the best,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
n717mw
Reel Rookie

Hello Arjlemar,

I am curious what your team has learned since my post.  Have they been able to replicate my findings?

Thank you in advance for your reply,

Kevin Halverson

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.