Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TCL Roku TV WiFi Connection Problems - Will Not Stay Connected Across Power Cycles

Jump to solution

FWIW:

Set up a hotspot on your phone using the Ubiquiti SSID and password it connected to and remembered successfully. Use your hotspot to test rather than relocate the tv. Does it see your hotspot? Does it remember the password?

If you choose to connect to a private network (rather than reset the connection) and enter the SSID as well as the password, does it connect?

Sounds like they were never set up properly and are in store mode rather than for home use, but remembering your Ubiquiti AP is doesn't support that. I'd get the instructions in front of me and factory reset one of the sets and set it up fresh (USA, home use, network, date & time, link to Roku account, whole nine yards). 

The idea that the Arris router is different doesn't explain not seeing any AP's where you say there are many broadcasting.

EDIT: I take that back. It's worth logging in to both AP's to compare. E.g., if Arris allows DFS channels to be used, and Ubiquiti doesn't, that could be the problem. In that case, I'd choose a non-DFS channel that works well in my environment, rather than leave it on some factory auto-select option that will eventually change channels to something that might make my AP no longer show up in the list.  

Good luck, man. Hopefully you're trying TCL support, too.

EDIT: And Westinghouse, too? I see where you find Roku as the common thread.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Roku TV WiFi Connection Problems - Will Not Stay Connected Across Power Cycles

Jump to solution

@raptor 

Couple of simple things to try since you are seeing the same behavior at both your location and your father's.

Try disabling the network pings in a hidden menu setup. (this will stop the RokuTV from constantly pinging/testing the router availability).

To disable network pings, press the Home button on your Roku remote at least 5 times (5x), followed by Fast Forward, Pause, Rewind, Pause, Fast Forward.  Select "system operations menu", and then select "network menu".

You should see "disable network pings".  (when network pings are successfully disabled, you will see "enable network pings" as an option if you wish to revert back to default setting).

----

Another thing you can try is to enable "Fast Start" on the RokuTV.  This will place the RokuTV into more of a standby mode when the Power button is pressed, rather than fully powering down the TV.  You can find this setting under the standard Roku menu (Settings/System/Power/Fast TV Start).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

100012585. Mine is doing the same thing 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar : He describes NOT seeing the same issue at the second location, i.e., after a connection reset, the set remembers the new connection, different SSID and password assumed. 

It's kind of tl;dr but now that I notice it's a new occurrence (month or 2) and 2 sets, I'd discount my suggestion to factory reset either set. A firmware upgrade of the router by the ISP seems a more likely cause. 

Don't know the model number of the router or gateway or whatever, or the age or model of the sets. Purely guesswork at this point.

0 Kudos
profkrowl
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV |Network Connection Issues After OS Update

Jump to solution

Might I suggest that if it can't be resolved soon, a rollback to the update proceeding the error be considered. Having to do a system restart each time I turn on the TV surely adds wear and tear to the device. I do see that an update was released today, so I can only hope that a solution is coming soon. 

0 Kudos
Rstarchild2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV. I have issues when power cycling to get my Wi-Fi to work. The only solution I have found so far is to go into settings then into system, then go to power and then to system restart. once I do that and it cycles back on, I have my Wi-Fi and I can stream, but the minute the TV is shut down for the day and turned back on hours later I have to go through this whole thing all over again to stream. I do not wish to do a factory restart since that will erase all my apps and streaming platforms. I wish they would come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Rstarchild2 and @Anonymous 

I actually would not discount the advice to Factory Reset.

It does seem to appear that "something" in the recent OS update may be a contributing factor with some user RokuTVs and their networks (routers).  

It is likely that whatever is the culprit is certainly only affecting certain network setups and the Restart is temporarily clearing the error/inability to connect.

The Factory Restart may actually be necessary to clean out any corruption in stored cache areas that other changes to Settings available to the end-user may not be able to access or is ineffective in resolving.

edited to add... @Rstarchild2, as long as you use the same email address you did previously when you set up your RokuTV (your email address is your Roku account), then your channels/apps will be added back to your device automatically.)  Unfortunately, you will likely need to login to all your subscriptions again and setup your Home Screen in your preferred order.  Need to weigh the inconvenience of trying this an an option to the inconvenience of restarting your TV every day.  Roku fixes do not come quickly, if at all, before the next scheduled update.  More often than not, fellow Roku users will usually determine a fix or workaround before adequately addressed by Roku.

----

@raptor may find that now the RokuTV is working properly on his network setup that he can simply return the TV to his father and it may continue to work properly on the original network.  Stranger things have occured with these devices and sometimes just need to chalk them up to the network gremlins.

If the RokuTV once again fails at the original setup, I would just try the Factory Reset.  At least then starting at a good "zero" point with the Roku device.  If still a no-go, then Factory Reset the Arris router.

Two options.  Try to diagnose and pinpoint, or just start over.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV |Network Connection Issues After OS Update

Jump to solution

Hi Roku Community,

We understand some users are having trouble connecting their Roku TV to Wi-Fi. We appreciate your patience while we address this issue.

Update (July 18th): We've identified the problem and expect a fix in a future update.

In the meantime, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Press the Home button on your remote five times.
  2. Then, press the Up button once.
  3. Follow this by pressing the Rewind button twice.
  4. Finally, press the Fast Forward button twice.

If the issue persists, try a factory reset:

1. Locate the reset button on your Roku device. It's usually on the back or bottom.
  2. Make sure your Roku TV is powered on.
  3. Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
  4. You'll see an indicator light blinking rapidly, indicating the reset process has begun.
  5. Release the button once the light starts blinking.
  6. The Roku TV will restart and be set to factory defaults.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support

Thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
raptor
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have yet to get back to my father's apartment to experiment, but I did intend to try the "fast start" option as that keeps the network connection up. I will also try the "restart" option that someone mentioned earlier. That's much better than "reset network connection" which requires dad to re-key the password, etc. which is something he can't do. 

On the Factory Reset suggestion, that was the first thing I tried. And it did work until the TV powered off again. I later discovered that Factory Reset was more than was necessary and that "Reset network connection" would do the trick (at the expense of having to key-in the password again).

I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but unplugging the TV and then plugging it back in does NOT clear the problem. The TV is storing some information that keeps things from working once the problem occurs. That should be a great debugging hint, I would think, since it suggests that the issue is not a simple incompatibility between the access point and Roku WiFi hardware and/or firmware. If this were a protocol issue it would clear with a power-on reset. But the TV is remembering something that keeps the WiFi hardware from being able to see any access point until the "reset network connection" happens. I bet that's enough for a dev to figure this out. (hint hint) What does "reset network connection" actually do internally?

Hopefully I'll have all the information the Roku person requested this weekend...

0 Kudos
tocrazie

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

Hi, I just saw on another thread for the same issue moderated by RokyMaryEF where she was keeping the community updated on the investigation of this same very issue, where she marked it solved and added that they have determined what the problem is, and that it would be fixed " in a future update".

As everyone can assume, I have 3 Roku TV's and  shortly after I upgraded my router to a wifi 6 mesh system, i've had to restart or reset the network everytime I turn any of the tv's on in order for them to reconnect.  Signal is excellent and no issues disconnecting while TVs are on, but one they're off, they lose connection.

And although some people have reported success with resetting their Rokus (which sets the TVs back to factory defaults, wiping out everything you have installed, including each apps login credentials), I don't think that's the best alternative for some of us,...especially now that supposedly the issue has been identified and can be fixed. 

But when is the question, how much longer do we have to wait for the fix?

Thank You

So WHEN do we expect this "future update" of Roku's firmware to fix this issue?  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.