Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: search has changed when i try to search

Jump to solution

*longer

0 Kudos
steveslagoon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

https://developer.roku.com/docs/features/engagement/roku-search.md

This probably explains new terrible search function.  As I posted earlier, it has been obvious from the start that the new (and incredibly terrible and terribly annoying) search function is the result of Roku having figured out a way to monetize its search function.  That is why there is no response to any of the complaints ... they know the new search function is terrible, but have obviously chosen to stonewall all the complaints until users "get over it" ... 

In short, ROKU has figured out a way to make money from user searches, and it will take **bleep** and high water to get ROKU to change back to the OBVIOUSLY better format.  What a bunch of total assholes.  

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The only workaround I found that is suitable is to use the Roku Remote mobile app for my searching.  It still provides the text based List format. (for some reason, not in exact alphabetical order, but acceptable).

Just select View Options after Search to see what channel is offering the content.

You can use the mobile app to search and then push the content to your connected device/tv.  Then use your physical remote if you wish.

Personally, this is an acceptable workaround for me as long as Roku does not disable and change this feature as well.

----

I know we didn't buy Roku devices to have to use mobile apps and computers to accomplish tasks or watch content once easily done in the device itself, but need to be flexible and adaptive in the streaming world to negate decisions made by these companies.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

hastur
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

To: steveslagoon

That was always there. With the old format, you select an item from the list and it opens the screen with the provider channels. Some may be free, others may be subscription, others may be PPV.

Getting to that screen is not so easy anymore. If Roku depends on that to monetize the service, they really shot themselves in the foot.

steveslagoon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is so insulting that ROKU will not even acknowledge or respond to complaints about the new "search format", which is a total POS.

Lbfast

Jump to solution

I have this same issue. My feedback is: I’d like to have the list format back please. The Netflix-like search results are useless.

KayMin

Jump to solution

This new search results display appeared on my Ultra box this weekend despite having the most recent system update (May) for months now. In short, it’s terrible, ineffective,  bloat ware. I thought Roku was the best streaming device offered but the fact that you still haven’t come out with a backlit remote, the ability to macro at least one key for a channel of our choosing, and now this silly so-called ‘update’ to search results is strike 3. I’m actually looking at purchasing the AppleTV streaming box right now. They don’t have the first two features either but they have search results that actually work, Shame on you!

rafsr

Jump to solution

needs to be returned to old way to search. new way is pretty much unusable to me 

TVQuestions
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did you ever get a resolution to this situation.  My Roku is now doing this.

0 Kudos
TVQuestions
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had this same situation with my Roku, I HATE the new search bar.  It is useless.