Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mx325
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen Mirroring stopped working

In my 6 hours of testing I found that the requirement for devices to be on the same network to be completely false which is irritating because multiple vendors make this claim but in my own experience it doesn't seem to be true at all.  One of my neighbors has an lg tv that I always see as an available screen mirriroring device and that tv is definitely not on my network.  During my testing I found that as soon as the tv's lose network connectivity to the router they start showing up as available.  In my testing I used a windows 11 laptop, 2 samsung galaxy s23 ultra's, 1 samsung galaxy tab a, and an old asus android tablet I bought in 2016.  All of the android's see the tv's come and go at the exact same time so I'm fairly certain it's not an issue with the android devices.  I've also been through two different wireless routers, a ATT bgw-320-505 and a tp-link be550.  I didn't do extensive testing with the ATT router but when I did have trouble connecting ot the tv's all I had to do was reboot the router and viola, as soon as the router started to reboot the tv's would show up on my device as available.  I can replicate that with the tp-link as well.  With the tp-link I can re-produce it not working and I can also re-produe what it takes to make it work.  Now, going back to my windows 11 laptop.  When I screen share from the windows laptop it creates an adhoc 802.11n connection between my laptop and the tv aside from my regular wireless internet adapter's connection.  I'm guessing that it works the same way with the android devices but since they don't show network interfaces I can't confirm.  The fact that I see a bunch of roku-****** ssid's being broadcasted while the tv's are powered on I suspect that I'm correct.  Another thing I can't figure out is why sometimes the screen sharing connection is terrible and causes the screen to pixelate and the auidio/vidio become out of sync.  If I reconnect sometimes it fixes it.  I've tried changing the 5ghz channel on my router to see if it may have been interfering but I don't think it made a difference.

SmartviewmyA
Reel Rookie

Why does this issue not get fixed or ever resolved....I've read so many entries for this problem and I never get an answer. I can at least connect but it's just a black screen with audio. Unbelievable.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mx325,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

As an additional troubleshooting step, have you tried restarting your Roku system, devices, and internet to keep them in sync? Restarting can sometimes fix the device's internal circuits, dismiss temporary glitches, allow the system to start afresh, and improve the internet speed for the router.

@SmartviewmyA,

We'll be glad to look further into this issue. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Are you using an Android, iPhone, or computer? We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Please provide us with more detailed information.

In the meantime, please try to restart your Android, iPhone, or computer and restart the system of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > Power (skip this step if not available) > System Restart to see if it fixes the issue. You can also try restarting your network router.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SmartviewmyA
Reel Rookie

I've tried all the tricks! I'm connecting from an Android to a TCL Roku TV. No restarting of anything has ever worked. I think I found a work around though by connecting to smart view while streaming something and it works every time. Hope that helps others!

0 Kudos
Mj2400

it almost seems like all my Hisense Roku tvs stopped being able to screen mirror around the same time they just stopped coming up. Has to be some type of update issue or something 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mj2400

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue regarding the screen mirroring feature, and we'd like to gather more details for us to assist further. May we know what troubleshooting steps have you taken in an attempt to resolve the issue? Also, could you please provide us with the Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Scottallen
Channel Surfer

Solution is don’t buy a Roku tv I bout one just for this and it worked for a week and quit I’ll never buy Roku again 

0 Kudos
Scottallen
Channel Surfer

I have 32inch that works fine so I bought a 55 and after a week it quit screen mirroring .What a waste of $ I’ll never buy anything Roku again absolute junk

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Scottallen,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We hear you and we're sorry to hear about this. This isn't what we aim for.
We see that you're seeing an issue with your Roku TV when using screen mirroring and we'd like to assist.
To learn more about this, please share a little bit more information about it.

• What brand/model is your mobile device
  • Is this a Roku-branded TV, or a Roku TV manufactured by TCL, Hisense, ONN, etc?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

With more information, we'll be able to zoom this thing out.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Scottallen
Channel Surfer

It’s a tcl 55 I tried everything it said in the post did a full reset still won’t show on Samsung s21 my 32 inch tcl works but the 55 won’t it did work for a couple weeks a quit

0 Kudos