Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aerofff5
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku doesn’t (ever) update

I am having this exact same issue. Is there anything special you did to make it work??

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@aerofff5 

Provide the model number and Roku software version/build from Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
aerofff5
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes @Dgbrew24 I have the exact same issue as the original poster. I reset my tv and now it won't update on internet/with the usb option. Same model as the poster, TCL model 55S20, 55in tv, C147X. I tried to hold the reset button on the tv as well, to activate the recovery mode. I cannot stay connected to the internet on the tv because it requires an update.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@aerofff5 

Roku devices, including Roku TVs, should update to current software (either 10.5 or 11.0, depending on where your devices falls in the update timeline). And you're still on 9.4?

Is that the reason you did a factory reset? That's obviously not something you just do, there would be a reason, so I'm going to assume you wanted to update past 9.4. Or was something else going on in addition to that?

I'm trying to gather as much information about your situation as we can. I'm really surprised about your still having 9.4, as OP had.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
aerofff5
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes Yes, I was still on the original 9.4 version. I always tried to update, but it never allowed me to. I did the factory reset because I thought it would allow me to update it. I also did it because Hulu kept crashing for about a week, no matter what I tried (I uninstalled/reinstalled the app multiple times). Thank you!

0 Kudos
aerofff5
Channel Surfer

@DBDukes software version 9.4- Build 4200-93

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@aerofff5 

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, this is a major problem. I'm concerned that Roku may direct you to TCL, as TCL actually built your device, not Roku, but since it's Roku software that TCL licenses, they may be able to offer some assistance in getting it updated before sending you to TCL.

Let's tag @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , and @RokuMary-F and see what they may be able to offer.

DBDukes

aerofff5
Channel Surfer

I contacted TCL and they were no help.

0 Kudos
renojim

@aerofff5, have you tried updating via USB?

https://tvupdate.roku.com/index?p=select

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
aerofff5
Channel Surfer

@renojim Yes, I tried that multiple times and unfortunately it still said unable to update.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.