Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Model 4640X keeps rebooting

@aamilo 

Might want to bring yours with you over to her network and try a Factory Reset over there as well. (press and hold Reset for 30+ seconds).  Make sure to bring your remote with you.

Would help eliminate a network issue as a culprit if you experience same behavior with your unit on her network.

If you are using a SD card, make sure you remove it when doing the Reset.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Binge Watcher

Please wait for a Roku moderator to PM you to discuss your situation and next steps.

I can only speak to my experience, but, I was told Roku will be exchanging my 4640X. However that was a week ago. So far I've not received an email from Roku to begin the exchange process. It's entirely possible Roku, after seeing just how many 4640X players are affected, is working on a fix before starting the exchange process. Hence the delay in starting the exchanges.

As far as those who've somehow got their players working again, I can only assume their issue is either not the same or those players are not the same series Ultra (4640X). Another possibility is those of us with affected players may have had limited memory available resulting in the update failing to install completely. If so this would explain why some 4640X players were not affected while others were able to recover. That said, these are just my theories. 

Roku has not explained or suggested a cause or the nature of widespread 4640X player failures. 

Cheers!

JCameronHollis
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra (4640X) stuck on Roku Bouncing LOGO

@elucidator Were you able to successfully factory reset and resume normal operation? Or did your 4640X return to the Recovery Mode page after initiating a factory reset and reboot? A few users are holding out hope while quoting your post.

I ask because your post does not state a factory reset resumed normal operation for you; only that you got to the factory reset option.

Those of us with the affected 4640X players are able to access the recovery mode features (factory reset). However trying all options on the Recovery Mode screen (update, reboot, and factory reset) does not correct our issue. We're stuck.

Please clarify your Ultra series is a 4640X (bottom right corner of the recovery mode screen). If you have the affected 4640X series Ultra, were you able to recover use of the player?

Thank you.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
judyneric
Channel Surfer

I got my 4640X working by using elucidator method (slightly different; held reset button on bottom of Roku and did not let go, plugged power into Roku, kept holding reset button, the bouncing ROKU letters appeared while still holding reset, and when the letters appeared I continued to hold the reset button for  another 20 seconds or so, before releasing it) . 

Never saw the recovery screen. Device started running. and I think this was the flow:  the device behaved as if it was new, had to set up internet connection (wired or wireless), it automatically downloaded and installed an update, I entered my account info (email addr), it downloaded all of my channels that are under that Roku account.

It's working fine so far.

Karpana

I'm in the same boat. 

Went to watch TV and was on the recovery screen (4640x). tried factory reset and now stuck in a boot loop with the bouncing logo. 

Using the reset button in a variety of ways as described in the posts above seems to do nothing as I continue to be in a boot loop with the bouncing logo screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Karpana,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to investigate further this issue that you had with the Roku Ultra. Can you please provide the following details below?

• How are you powering your Roku device? Is it currently plugged into a wall outlet or power strip?
  • Have you tried switching through another HDMI output at the back of your TV?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

Hi All,

Just wanted to add provide a little more info for everyone.  I tried unplugging and rebooting while holding the reset button but that didn't do anything for my unit.  I have literially tried everything posted and recommended but nothing works.

So last night I went over to my mother house to check her 4640x and much to my surprise it was working fine.  Checked the update level and hers received the update 10/19/24 while mine received it 10/21/24.  I checked the app (Roku app) that was initially giving me issues and it worked fine too.

The only thing I was too scared to try was to reboot her unit.  Right now it looks like it's fine but I didn't want to risk it with a reboot, since mine was fine, other than the one app, until I rebooted.

P.S.  I just received a PM from a moderator, so fingers crossed.

0 Kudos

I received a private message from a user on this message board, claiming to be a moderator, asking me for my phone number and mailing address.  I have to wonder if this is a legit message, or a scammer.

0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks, I totally didn't think to bring it over.  However I did try my network both wired and wifi, plus used my cellular hot spot and it made no difference. 

So last night I checked my mother's 4640x and much to my surprise it was working fine. Checked the update level and hers received the update 10/19/24 while mine received it 10/21/24. I checked the app (Roku app) that was initially giving me issues and it worked fine too.

The only thing I was too scared to try was to reboot her unit. Right now it looks like it's fine but I didn't want to risk it with a reboot, since mine seemed fine, other than the one app, until I rebooted.

I did receive an PM from a moderator so fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

@kaufmanj1973 

I received a similar message.  I believe it is legit.  You can check the forums for the name and it should show with the tag of "Community Moderator".  I think that tag also shows in the PM.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.