Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jniezgoski
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

I want to know what you guys did to fix this. It did update after 5 reboots (looked like a loop but it was really outdated). Thank you.

0 Kudos
Kane41510

Jump to solution

My TV doing the same thing it won’t let me get past can’t update software please try again in a few minutes later it’s been a week now.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kane41510

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting this Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to pass the software update?

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Sheelers

Jump to solution

Hi there, I am having the same issue as previous posts and have tried to fix it as mentioned. I am stuck at not being able to update after doing a factory reset 6 times and going through the steps to get the software update. It gets stuck and sends me back to the ROKU screen. It is model 3800X serial number CU3899936235. It has been used consistently since first purchased.

It had been acting up for a month, I went on vacation and attempted to use when I returned and it was stuck.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Sheelers,
Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!
We understand that you're having a problem updating the software or system on your Roku device. We're happy to help. We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Here are a few questions to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Are you being prompted with an error message?
  • How far are your modem and router from your Roku device?
  • Have you tried connecting your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can activate and update your Roku device?
  • Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
therourke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, the situation has changed for me. Now the Roku asks to update on reboot, it seems to actually download something and then restarts. Then it asks to update again. And repeats. So far I have 'updated' my Roku 3910X about 6 or 7 times. I am stuck in an infinite loop.

What. Is. Happening.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @therourke,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

To perform a software update, your Roku TV or Roku player must have an excellent connection to the internet. If, for some reason, this connection is unreliable or an unexpected outage exists, your Roku device may be unable to update to the latest software.

Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

In the meantime, for additional troubleshooting steps, please check this out: What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos