Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emcee_coy
Reel Rookie

Roku Premiere causes interference with PS5 controller

Jump to solution

My PS5 has worked perfectly for years. EXCEPT when my son streams anything on the Roku Premiere in another room. As soon as the Roku turns on, I experience major lag and connectivity issues with my PS5 controller. The Roku is connected by a HDMI to a Samsung LCD. Nothing special.

When I ask him to turn it off, he simply presses the home button on the Roku remote and turns off the TV. The PS5 issue is immediately fixed.

These are 2 different TVs that are not related or connected to each other at all. TVs in adjacent rooms.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Premiere causes interference with PS5 controller

Jump to solution

Hi @emcee_coy @DKBomber13,

Thanks for keeping us posted and welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're concerned about your Roku Premiere interfering with your PS5 controller. We're happy to help. Please be advised that the Roku device is not responsible for interference with your PS5 controller since it was connected separately to your HDMI output at the back of your TV.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DKBomber13

Jump to solution

Sorry I don't have an answer. I also experience this problem. It's extremely annoying. Just replying to maybe give this post a bump. Or maybe you found a solution.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @emcee_coy @DKBomber13,

Thanks for keeping us posted and welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand you're concerned about your Roku Premiere interfering with your PS5 controller. We're happy to help. Please be advised that the Roku device is not responsible for interference with your PS5 controller since it was connected separately to your HDMI output at the back of your TV.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emcee_coy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm happy this post received a reply. I understand that these are 2 completely different setups. After reading my original post and still experiencing this issue, I have additional context. The interference happens when the Roku Premiere remote is being used. If the Roku is streaming a video and the remote is not being used, the PS5 works fine. The worst interference happens when my son is scrolling looking for something to watch.

The remote and PS5 controller must be operating on the same Bluetooth frequency. Is there a way to adjust this? I am certain these 2 devices are linked. Both devices work flawlessly independently.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@emcee_coy wrote:

The remote and PS5 controller must be operating on the same Bluetooth frequency. Is there a way to adjust this? I am certain these 2 devices are linked. Both devices work flawlessly independently.

No Roku remote uses Bluetooth (other than one very old model, the 2XS). There are multiple versions of the Roku Premiere, so it would be helpful to know which one you have. Some are dual band WiFi, while one is 2.4 GHz only.

Since the Roku remote has a power button, that means it should be a WiFi Direct remote, as the basic IR remote doesn't have power or volume buttons. But a WiFi remote should have no impact on a Bluetooth remote from a different device. While Bluetooth uses the same 2.4 GHz radio band as WiFi, it uses a different protocol and (in theory) should not receive interference from WiFi devices. 

There is no way to adjust the WiFi channel the Roku remote uses. And Bluetooth does not use "channels", so nothing can be adjusted there. But if your Roku has a dual band WiFi radio (as I said, at least one Premiere version does not) you can make sure your Roku is using 5 GHz WiFi, which will also shift your Roku remote to 5 GHz. You can tell what band your Roku is using by looking at the Network information screen. If the channel number is 11 or lower, it's on 2.4 GHz. Any channel number higher and you're on 5 GHz. If there's still interference when using 5 GHz WiFi on your Roku, then your problem with the PS5 controller is not being caused by the Roku. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
emcee_coy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There is no power or volume button on the Roku remote. It is an IR remote so I guess Bluetooth can't be the culprit. The door to the adjacent room is always closed so there's no way the PS5 setup is seeing an IR signal from the Roku remote. I have 2 different PS5 controllers and the same thing happens on either one so it seems unlikely this is caused by a faulty PS5 controller. And again, the ONLY time I ever experience this interference is when the Roku remote is in use. It's not the end of the world, and if there's no solution, I'll survive.

I'm not sure what version the device is, but from the system menu it lists the model number as 3920X running version 14.0.

The network channel for the Roku is 6. The PS5 is hardwired and not on the WiFi. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yep, the 3920 comes with an IR remote and is only single band WiFi. I have one, but I added a WiFi remote to it. 

You've pretty much isolated that it can't be the Roku remote. Sorry I can't think of something else that might be the issue.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@emcee_coy 

One method of reducing interference on the 2.4ghz band of a network (from nearby devices, bluetooth, appliances, etc) is to decrease the channel width/bandwidth to 20mhz in the router settings.

Some routers use 40mhz or 20/40 for the 2.4ghgz band as default which increases speed a bit, but also is susceptible to introducing interference to the band.

Try going into the router settings and set the 2.4ghz band's channel width/bandwidth to 20mhz and see if performance improves for you. (Restart router after making the settings change).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.