Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Giveth / Roku Taketh Away

Jump to solution

@thearches, have you tried "Software update" under Settings->System or a "System restart"?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JamiS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Absolutely! As someone who has worked in the software world for over 30 years, those are the FIRST things I always try. 

renojim

Jump to solution

I wonder if they're rolling it out slowly or if it depends on model.  I have the option on my 3920 (on 13.0) and my 4800 (on 12.5.5), but not my 3600 (on 12.5.5).  I also wonder if it depends on what theme is being used.

I am not a Roku employee.
ThisishT
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Express 4K+ with the 12.5.5 4174-E4 version. Suddenly sometime during the day on 5/21/24 the Tile size - Smaller - Larger choice of option appeared on my device. When I lost the 3X3 or 4X4 app tile grid size choice of option I tried many different theme and wallpaper combinations without success. I lost count how many times I have restarted, and factory reset my device. If my luck holds out maybe Roku made the 3X3 and 4X4 app tile grid size choice of option a permanent setting on my device. I really like the 4X4 size.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

My grandson uses my Ultra every morning before school to watch YouTube. When he started it up this morning, his first comment was "hey, everything on the screen is smaller". Very observant 10 year old. 🙂 He wasn't complaining, simply making an observation. I like the 4 grid myself. I checked my Premiere+ this morning and it too now has the setting. That one is connected to a 43" 4K set, but we sit much closer to it (I use it as a computer monitor when I telework) so the 4 grid looks fine on it as well. I haven't checked my 4670 Ultra yet, and it's connected to a 34" set. That one I might keep on the 3 grid, although we sit fairly close to that one as well so 4 grid might look fine.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Efros

Jump to solution

They need to stop messing with the home screen menu, I keep mine slim and trim and they keep adding stuff to it. Leave it!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I've never had them turn something back on that I've disabled, but they do have a habit of adding new content to the menu. I don't sweat it, and just turn off whatever they added. I don't spend much time on the home screen to be honest. I'm only there for a few seconds to open the desired channel/app.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
rfmuth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The 4 tile grid was, originally, sent out randomly as a test, and then removed without warning. Word from Roku staffers was that it would return at some point permanently, either as part of Software version 13.00, or as an independent tweak, unrelated to the version of build number. That time has apparently arrived as more and more of us are seeing it on at least some of our devices. We have also found that it is an independent tweak and not dependent on the Software version or the build number.

When present, the option is found under "Settings" -> "Home screen" -> "Tile size."
The options are "Larger" or "Smaller," with the choice of smaller giving you 4 tiles across.

Various updates are sent out rather randomly it appears. My devices do not typically receive the same updates, including software version or build number at the same time. Your device is supposed to check for updates every time you "turn it on" but you can also force it to check at any time. I often find that this manual update will find and install one or more updates of some kind -- even when performed shortly after tuning on my device and its own check having just been completed. It is only during a manual check that you will get to see what, if anything, is being updated.

To perform a manual update check, go to "Settings" -> "System" -> "Software Update" -> "Check now"

Note that you will see the date and time of the last check, as well as the date and time of the last "update" although the latter apparently refers to an actual "software" update, but not other updates. Many things can be updated besides the version and build, such as updating various apps (channels) and some minor items they do not name, but when being installed you will see them listed in cutesy terms like "fine tuning the warp drive" or "enhancing shields." These unnamed enhancements seem to be what add the various menu options that pop in from time to time, and also adds the "Tile size" option that so many of us are looking for.

I hope that helps add some understanding, though it may not do much for enhancing your patience as you wait for the "Tile size" option to arrive on your device.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.