Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edodie
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express with old firmware unable to update the software

I also have the same problem.

3900X

C338D7668886

Before doing a factory reset, it could not do the update.
So I did a factory reset and now it is stuck at the firmware update.,
Unusable now.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @edodie,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Sorry to hear that you are having issues updating the software of your Roku Express. May we ask, have you tried rebooting your router? Also, we suggest trying connecting your Roku to an alternate network like a mobile hotspot to see if the same issue will occur.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
edodie
Reel Rookie

Hi

Yes I tried that.
I connected to 2 difference access point and also tried via my phone has hotspot.
It always says that internet was OK
But then is stays stuck in "Checking for new software"

With wireshark, I see that it connects via SSL 443
It gets an "Encrypted Alert" (not sure if it is important)
Then it connects via port 2350
But not a lot of traffic on that port.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@edodie 

Thanks for the update. 

Our support team is now aware of your issue and will be reaching out to you shortly through email.  Please be ready to receive their correspondence and continue assisting you from there. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work toward a resolution.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
rykrs

Can anyone in this thread share if there is actually a fix for this or if it is unfixable? I'm now facing this same issue with a 3910RW (S/N:YG004Y066912, Dev. ID: C53874066912) that has been unused for some time and is still on 9.2.0 (build 519.20E04806A). The Roku has been factory reset and is stuck on "Checking for new software". I've already tried rebooting the router and Roku, and using 2 different mobile hotspots in addition to the home wifi. 

0 Kudos
h5r9
Channel Surfer

Not fixable as far as I know. The support offered me a replacement if I sent the old one back.

0 Kudos
fjones
Channel Surfer

Hello, I have the same issue with my 3900x (ID TC2-R1019 IC 5959A-R1019).

I've done all the router/restart/different network/mobile hotspot nonsense, and reset the Roku itself.

I didn't expect the device to brick itself after 4 years of usage.

Is this Roku intentionally bricking a device to de-support it or is there a legitmate work around?

Would prefer not to throw it in the bin.

0 Kudos
edodie
Reel Rookie

In my case support did not contact me for replacement yet

Also they did not provide any method to recover the unit

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @edodie,

Thank you for following up.

We appreciate you informing us about the Roku device that is stuck in "Checking for new software" and we apologize for the delay in a solution. We'll follow up on your ticket with our Support team. If you don't hear from them within the next 1-2 business days, please feel free to reach out again and I'll make sure you are taken care of.

We appreciate your patience for the time being.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue. We understand that you are having difficulties with your Roku device that is stuck in the error message "Checking for new software". 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos