Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tinytexan88
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 3900 says it is overheating

I am having the same problem as well and I’ve had mine for years. The HDMI is plugged into Tv and the other power cord I plugged into wall. The troubleshooting doesn’t work. How do I fix this or get a new replacement because clearly something so wrong with it? I have it as far back as I can without it being on the floor. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 3900 says it is overheating

Hi @Tinytexan88,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We can see that you're experiencing this issue with your Roku Express device.  We'd love to take a closer look into this.

Could you tell when you started seeing the issue occur? Is the problem resolved by simply restarting the system? Is there a particular action that you took that resulted in the appearance of that error message?

Tell us more about this so that we can further zoom in on it.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tinytexan88
Reel Rookie

I’ve seen the problem multiple times over the last year. I’ve had my device for at least 5 years now but never had an issue until recently. I feel like it’s hot/warm even when I don’t have the TV on though and it seems to happen mostly when I’m on the Discovery + app watching something. 
move restarted it before but whenever I see it I just turn off the TV. I think I’ve restarted it before but that doesn’t change the temperature. It’s connected by the HDMI to the TV but it’s not on top of any other tv devices. Just in the back behind the stand. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tinytexan88,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Express since, when you're on the Discovery+ channel, it starts to overheat. We're happy to help. Please follow the steps below:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    • Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    • On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers,
    • In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the above message or the Roku player shows a solid red light, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos