Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Express 2024 update issue

Just bought a Roku Express HD Model #396OX because I've been a long time roku user. I have 3 others that we use on the daily for the last 7 years. It is stuck in a perpetual update loop. It loads the "let's get started" screen. Has you connect to the internet. Updates. Reboots. And then back to "let's get started". Etc, etc. Come on roku! Looking at the previous comments with the same problem, i dont want my others to update and im afraid ill be forced to before long. Fix the issue. This one is brand new. I bought it today! I haven't even gotten to register it on my roku account due to the update loop.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Shameless001, since the 3960 doesn't come with a power adapter, I would suspect that whatever you're using isn't adequate.  If you're using the TV's USB port, try using a USB power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet.  If you're already doing that, make sure the fine print says something like, "Output: 5V 1A".  Anything greater than 1 Amp (1A or 1000mA) is even better.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Shameless001 @snopcy 

It's always great to see new users around here in the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you've encountered with the Roku Express booting up after the update, and we would be more than glad to assist. In this matter, we recommend performing a complete reset to your Roku device. A factory reset clears the majority of data from your Roku device and resets it to a factory default state. After you complete a factory reset, you need to set up and configure your Roku device again including the following: Perform the Guided Setup and activation process. 

To perform this, kindly follow the steps provided in this support article: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted on what you discover in our endeavor to resolve this issue.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TostiIJzer
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB 

Ive already posted a detailed description above, there is nothing I can add to this. The device reboots before anything interesting can happen.

I've tried factory resetting, using several different power supplies and Hdmi cables, and resetting my router and connecting the roku to the Internet via a hotspot on my phone. Nothing works. 

Please do something about this, there are many people running into the same issue and it seems pretty clear that there is a faulty update being distributed. And it seems like it is bricking devices. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TostiIJzer,

Thank you for the post!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with the Roku Express. We would be pleased to help you even more. Can you please provide the following information that has been asked below?

• May we have the serial number of your Roku Express?
  • When and where you purchase this Roku Express?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TostiIJzer
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuJohnB,

Like I posted before: My Roku model is 3930X, s/n S0103053FAG5.

It was purchased from amazon in September 2020.

0 Kudos
Naiveatheart
Channel Surfer

Hey there! In reading through the posts and your teams email to me. I’d like to clarify that myself and others posting are stating there are issues with OTHER Roku devices than Roku Express. Someone here mentioned their express and sound bar were impacted. My device is a TCL Roku TV. I believe someone else mentioned their TV as well. 

I appreciate your team being responsive via the forum and directly but please be sure to read the responses in FULL. This is not a Roku Express ONLY issue. This update has bricked devices that cost much more than $35-$40. Not only is it important for customer support, accurate troubleshooting, appropriate replacement devices or compensation,  but also to prevent this problem from occurring again.

Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TostiIJzer,

Thanks for the update!

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us. We will be more than happy to assist you further. Have you tried connecting your Roku Express to an alternative wireless network connection and trying to see if that will be able to fix the issue? How far is your Roku device from your network router? How many devices are connected to your Wi-Fi? (Phones, tablets, iPads, etc.) Are your other devices able to connect to the network without any issues or latency?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TostiIJzer
Channel Surfer

@RokuJohnB, As I wrote in my previous reply to you, I tried connecting through my router, after resetting it, and using my mobile phone as a hot spot. My router is 3 meters removed from my Roku, and my phone 20 cm. 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I don't know what's worse, a terrible update that bricks people's devices and TVs. Or the fact that it's been weeks and nothing is resolved and the responses from Roku here are not very encouraging. How can a factory reset not fix the problem? That is supposed to be the last resort option to get things working again. Also, doing a factory reset is annoying and tedious and time consuming for a lot of people having to set up their Roku player or Roku TV again.

Why should any customer have to do a factory reset to fix a device or TV that was working perfectly until some 'genius' programmer designed an update that was so bad it broke everything? It's bad enough being locked out of your Roku player but your entire TV because of this? I've never bought a Roku TV and after reading all of these comments I never will! Because any update can without warning break your device and TV's ability to function. Nice going Roku programmers! You do top notch work over there!