Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
decker12
Binge Watcher

New Rokus - Do They Support 24.000 FPS?

Jump to solution

The newish 2022 Roku Ultra 4k is on sale at Amazon for $66 right now.

Does this device properly do 24.000 FPS?

Do not confuse that with the rate of 23.976 fps that films use. Likewise, don't confuse it with the rounded up layman's term of "oh, it was shot at 24 FPS". I'm not rounding up from 23.976 and just saying "24 FPS".

I mean exactly 24.000 FPS which is a now-standard integer frame rate for content produced by most major streaming services. Andor, Ashoka, Rings of Power, She Hulk, Loki - all those shows are at the integer frame rate of 24.000 FPS and if you play them on any existing Roku device, it will stutter.

My older Roku Ultra device from 2021 does not do 24.000 FPS. The "Match Frame Rate" setting in the Advanced area of that Roku does not change this behavior to make it work properly with 24.000 FPS content. It will always stutter every 40 seconds as it tries to interpolate 24.000 FPS to either 59.97, 23.976, or 60. 

I've given up on Roku because they don't support 24.000 FPS, but I may buy back in if the newer devices have started to support it.

Does anyone know a definitive answer?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New Rokus - Do They Support 24.000 FPS?

Jump to solution

Hi @decker12,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to answer your inquiry. The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the Settings menu on your compatible Roku player. The setting will not change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates. Please be aware that when the auto-adjust display refresh rate is disabled, your Roku player outputs all content at 60 fps. A movie filmed at 24 fps or a video shot at 25 fps may exhibit subtle jerkiness due to the conversion to 60 fps. You may also need to adjust the video settings on your TV. Consult the documentation included with your TV or contact the manufacturer directly.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced System Settings.
  5. Select Advanced Display Settings.
  6. Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:.
  • Enabled: Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video, or TV show when playback begins.
    • Note:
      • Due to video mode changes on your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes may occur more often with channels that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.
      • The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting is not available for content on some channels, such as Netflix or Hulu. When enabled, titles on these channels will output at the same refresh rate.
  • Disabled: Your Roku player will output all content at 60 fps.

For more information, you can also refer to this support link here.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
decker12
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So.. not a single person who owns a single Roku device can help with this question?

Am I the only one who cares about watching 24.000 FPS content without it stuttering?

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @decker12,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to answer your inquiry. The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the Settings menu on your compatible Roku player. The setting will not change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates. Please be aware that when the auto-adjust display refresh rate is disabled, your Roku player outputs all content at 60 fps. A movie filmed at 24 fps or a video shot at 25 fps may exhibit subtle jerkiness due to the conversion to 60 fps. You may also need to adjust the video settings on your TV. Consult the documentation included with your TV or contact the manufacturer directly.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced System Settings.
  5. Select Advanced Display Settings.
  6. Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:.
  • Enabled: Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video, or TV show when playback begins.
    • Note:
      • Due to video mode changes on your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes may occur more often with channels that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.
      • The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting is not available for content on some channels, such as Netflix or Hulu. When enabled, titles on these channels will output at the same refresh rate.
  • Disabled: Your Roku player will output all content at 60 fps.

For more information, you can also refer to this support link here.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
MattJnon

Jump to solution

@RokuJohnB 

This is not the issue, the issue is that with the auto adust refresh rate activated, the device plays back 24.000 fps content at 23.976 which is incorrect and results in dropped frame ! This a bug with the device.

solomediag

Jump to solution

Yes. This is very annoying. I don't stream movies much since I bought a 4K player, but I was reminded of this glitch when I watched Rebel Moon Part 2. I guess I'll use my TV's apps for 24 fps content from now on. I might get an Apple TV+ device st some point if Roku refuses to fix this. I know this is an issue with Prime content as well as Netflix.

0 Kudos
seth_success
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku company should fix this bug. As a long time Roku fan, and having purchased a dozen Roku devices I've switched to using Google TV that is built into my Sony TV. Chances of me going back to Roku are fading daily.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.