Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Home Screen New Input Folder

Jump to solution

The consolidation of Inputs into a single folder is another test feature that only some (subset) of Roku users are experiencing.

Users may notice some of these features appear/disappear at any time during testing. 

I haven't seen any info regarding the disabling of this certain test feature, so for now the affected users should just leave their feedback.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Benmcclen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My guess is that they're intentionally prioritizing Roku streaming options over actual tv inputs and this design change is the result of that.  Definitely a step backwards and not designed to benefit users so much as to steer them towards streaming apps by hiding the other input options.  For many reasons, they would much prefer you use their built-in streaming options than to watch your cable box, Tivo, Chromecast, or whatever non-Roku input you plug into your tv.

At the same time they hid the input options, they added Roku's own "Live TV" icon next to the tv inputs, which confused me at first, since my "live" tv is from my Tivo.  I removed the icon from the home screen but can find no way to put the tv input options back where they belong, on the home page.

Also, they squeezed more apps onto the home screen, which now looks cluttered.  There should be a user-option grid size in the settings if they want to allow for that, but again, they are shoving more streaming options into your face because it is part of the business model to push streaming.

JeffR
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I agree and also believe that this is what Roku is trying to achieve.
I don't agree that Roku should have control over me television.
I own a Hisense TV with Roku added - not the other way around. I consider Roku an input.
They should not have control over my television, which is the main item in question.

JeffR
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The changes is on all three of my devises. A premium, ultimate and Hisense TV.

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JeffR Roku is the operating system of your TV.  Roku has control over the operating system.  If you don't want Roku to change anything on your Hisense TV set up the Roku to have the TV start on a certain HDMI input.  Then unlink the TV from your Roku account.  Roku will then do nothing to your TV.  However you can use the device connected to the HDMI input you selected.  You can then use the TV as a normal non smart TV which no one has any control over except you.

0 Kudos
Benmcclen
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This support response appears to have deliberately found a nit-picking detail to address rather than answer the primary question of this post, which is, why has Roku hidden the inputs in a folder? This is not an improvement and the feedback reflects that.  Roku wants us to use their streaming apps rather than the other input options, is the most likely explanation. One shouldn't have to turn their smart tv into a dumb one just because the operating system was intentionally updated to be more cumbersome and less user-friendly.

Jump to solution

That is the laziest and most unprofessional response from Roku. Telling someone to dumb down their TV instead of just giving us the option of being involved with this stupid **bleep**ing folder. I use all hdmis and more and now I have to extra click instead of just getting into it from the home screen. U guys shouldn't involve people who don't want to beta test it dumbass updates this one isnt reversible that I've seen except to reset the TV. Absolutely trash answer tho are u sure ur not a bot? Also **bleep** that TV input box on home screen for roku tvs 

Tequila
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, this new input menu doesn't work. To have to take extra steps is ridiculous, why fix something, that isn't broken. Better yet, why change something on a smart TV that nothing can be done without buying a fire tv. Fix it ASAP please 

ramassen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

HATE THIS NEW FOLLDER.  It now requires an extra setp to go from one input to another. Easier and quicker to just choose the one I want on the home screen.

Tequila
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

A little late for that. Clearly Roku updated the firmware so its just as clear that only Roku can undo the horror show they have created. I purchased a TV that allowed me to access other inputs in a simple, clear, minimalist way, one of the reasons I purchased Roku instead of a fire TV and Roku has now decided they know better. Pure arrogance. I have no choice but to live with it - make it an option & let me (or us) decide what works for me (or us)