Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maui5150

AVOID Roku Ultra 2024 if you use USB HUB

Just got a Roku Ultra 2024 and if you are like me, and have Terabytes of Media on multiple External Drives AVOID THE Ultra 2024.

I have been connecting 3 or more drive to my Roku devices for many years, I think going back to the Roku 3 or 4.

For Early devices, Roku provided enough power via USB to power the drives with no problem.

Starting with Ultra, Roku cut the power over USB to do more I believe with the WiFi so I went to a powered USB hub - solved the issue. 

Just picked up the New 2024 Ultra and no bueno - if I connect the USB Hub, it reads NO DEVICES.  If I unplug the Hub and plug in an individual drive, Allow it, it works fine.  I restarted the Hub, individually plugged in and authorized each drive (I have 4) then restarted everything... Nothing  NO DRIVES recognized and getting the stupid DLNA message and no devices / media found.

Plugged back in the 2022 - No problem.  All works fine

I am sure that many like me chose the Ultra to specifically play our extensive libraries - in my case I have a drive for TV Shows, one for Horror, on for documentaries/concerts - and One for Series (Superheros, Bond, etc., just to try and keep my external drives to 5TB each. 

Definite deal killer for me.  Really hoped the Media player would be improved with better handling of formats, better searching, bookmarks, frame advance fast or slow-mo frame by frame, but instead, looks like is on capable of a single device.  On the 2022, it reads the hub and presents each drive as a folder and you navigate as expected.

Very disappointed

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
maui5150

Re: AVOID Roku Ultra 2024 if you use USB HUB

Just rotated through the Rokus I have on hand - realized my 4802 I have in my kitchen does the same behavior and the Roku 4670x and 4640x both function fine with USB Powered hubs.

Best I can tell, for the 48xxX generations, the ones with the USB ports on the back of the device, they will only read a single drive the drives with the USB to the right side of the device facing it do work. 

Shame.  Was looking forward to improved WiFi and hoping for an updated media player, but looks like I need to start look for another platform in the near future as looks like like the main feature for me is obsolete going forward.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@maui5150 

Are you able to use the USB hub with your router ? (if router has USB port).  Then use Roku Media Player (RMP) DLNA.

Nice way to make it available to all devices without having to swap between Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
maui5150

That possibly could work, but far from ideal.  I could also go to a multi-drive NAS which would only have a single USB connection, but part of my setup is being able to take my library with me when I travel.  Since I am connecting 4 portable USB drives, like the WD Element, these are easy to carry around.  As an example, I was up in Maine last weekend, there had been a big storm, the power and cable (internet) were out for about 12 hours, but the cabin has a Generac natural gas generator.  We were able to watch a few movies and have almost 2000 to choose from.  I am able to fit the ultra, power, remote, cables, and the 4 drives in a small box - so the router solution does not work for that. 

It is probably just more frustration as I have been running this setup has been working for almost 5 years and realizing that since the 48xxX generations, it no longer does.

While I understand the Roku is primarily a streaming player - the ability to have a single central device that easily allows streams and plays local stored media is a major point.

I greatly appreciate the creative approach.  It could work to some degree 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.