Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

"This USB device requires more power" message when no USB plugged in

Jump to solution

As subject says - TCL 2022  6-series Roku TV, not even a week out of the box yet.

While using a PC connected to the TV last night, " This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available. For more help, visit: go.roku.com/USBpopped up, stayed on screen for 1-2 seconds, and then went away before I had a chance to press anything on the remote.

I have nothing plugged into the TV's USB port & never have - are there other reasons this error would come up? Does the OS just use it as a catch-all for any low-power condition?

I do live in an area with occasional brief power dips, so if that's the cause then it's fine, but it would be really nice to know if this indicates some other problem given the circumstances.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

Re: "This USB device requires more power" message when no USB plugged in

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for the response - however, for better or worse, it's a moot point now as i'm exchanging the TV for another one.

Since I couldn't find much specific info on my situation here or elsewhere, I called Best Buy - they sent a tech out and initially were going to replace the mainboard, but since I was still in the exchange period with a warranty they're opting to just swap the whole thing instead.

In the meantime, the problem hasn't happened again, but we've only used the TV 3 or 4 hours since then also. This issue hasn't happened on the other 2 TCL sets we've had for the last 5 years or so (including one elsewhere in the house that we use daily), so i'm leaning towards it being some sort of hardware issue as well.

Still curious what would make the Roku software generate this error with no USB plugged in (unless it was related to the TV's internal wireless that's apparently hooked up by a USB cable also), but at this point just fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again with the replacement.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Deathwing182 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing with a notification of the USB port.

Has the issue occurred again since you last saw this happen? It's possible that the TV thought there was something detected in the USB port and provided that message box.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be more than happy to continue assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

Thanks for the response - however, for better or worse, it's a moot point now as i'm exchanging the TV for another one.

Since I couldn't find much specific info on my situation here or elsewhere, I called Best Buy - they sent a tech out and initially were going to replace the mainboard, but since I was still in the exchange period with a warranty they're opting to just swap the whole thing instead.

In the meantime, the problem hasn't happened again, but we've only used the TV 3 or 4 hours since then also. This issue hasn't happened on the other 2 TCL sets we've had for the last 5 years or so (including one elsewhere in the house that we use daily), so i'm leaning towards it being some sort of hardware issue as well.

Still curious what would make the Roku software generate this error with no USB plugged in (unless it was related to the TV's internal wireless that's apparently hooked up by a USB cable also), but at this point just fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again with the replacement.

Nikkipooh

Jump to solution

My tv is saying device requires more power and it won’t go away 

Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I can't really help you unfortunately, neither Roku or TCL was able to come up with a viable cause or solution for the issue, and Best Buy ended up just replacing the TV.

I'd suggest either contacting TCL or wherever you bought the TV for warranty service/repair if possible.

Jw9

Jump to solution

How do I get rid of this? 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Jw9,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for the post. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue but we need more details.

Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Do you receive any error codes or messages? If yes, please let us know.
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
dshaklee

Jump to solution

This message just started popping up yesterday.  It wont go away so you cant watch anything because the message takes up a third of the screen.  There is not now or at any other time been anything in the usb port.  How can I make it go away?

0 Kudos
trevor-hall
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just got exactly the same message on my TV. Nothing has ever been connected via USB. Maybe it's a firmware bug? Please have your firmware team find out what causes this, and hopefully send a firmware update, at least allowing this to be disabled by your customers. The TV should still be under manufacture's warranty, so if you can't fix this bug I'll have to file a claim? This is a TCL 5 series TV, but the box to the right called "Associated products" won't let me enter that information.

0 Kudos
trevor-hall
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

TV "About" screen on settings says: Model number: 75S555. (still cannot enter this value in Associated Products" box? Can you fix that box to accept model numbers?).

What was I doing? Watching Ultimatum on Netflix, for about 1 hour.

Is there any error code? Can't tell, as the message disappears after 3 seconds, just had time to remember the words and do a google search. There isn't any available button (such as "submit report to TCL or Roku support") on the message. Maybe there is another forum for TCL bugs?

0 Kudos