Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tv screen is black but still has sound

Jump to solution

Hi, @Takita

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for letting us know about this, and we're here to assist. We recommend pointing your screen to a flashlight to see if it's pitched black or has a dim image.

Furthermore, if you're able to, could you please provide us with the Roku TV information such as device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About or at the bottom/back/box of the TV).

Let us know what you find out.

All the best
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, I have this same issue and cannot find a solution. 

I have a JVC Roku Tv however so I am unsure if this is any different 

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
RokuBernie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @naomi_thompson,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community! 

We appreciate you informing us about this; we're here to assist. We recommend restarting the TV by unplugging it from the wall outlet and checking the status light of the TV to see if it's solid or blinking. We also encourage you to try another outlet.

If the issue persists, kindly see @RokuCarly's post above. 

Warm regards,

Bernie

Bernie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rpowell01
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This occurs with certain videos on rumble, I can click a video and boom screen goes black and I hear only sound. I've learned to unplug and reboot normally fixes this bit it only happens with certain rumble videos, this is what makes it weird as if the coding or something is wrong.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @mollyyy, this happened to me before with our onn. Roku TV. Mostly I was only able to put in the wifi password, but couldn't get anywhere past that.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku Community, @CatKing2023!

Thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to help you find the best resolution so you can get back on streaming. 

Can you please confirm if you still have the same issue as before? If so, kindly provide us with additional information, such as the following:

• Did your ONN Roku TV receive any software updates prior to this happening that might have triggered this issue?
  • After entering your Wi-Fi password, did your TV powered off?
  • What specific troubleshooting steps have you taken to try and resolve this?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ChuckHale
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problems.   I have a TCL - 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV.  I have talked to customer support at TCL and watched a dozen YouTube videos and been through all of the troubleshooting and tried everything.  I've been trying stuff for months.  When I turn it on, the screen flashes the ROKU logo briefly, then goes to black.  I've unplugged it and plugged it back in.  I've waited 10-15 seconds and I've left it unplugged for weeks.  I've done a hard reset, soft reset, all kinds of resets. Same problem.  I tried a different outlet. 

I originally thought this was a TCL problem, but seeing all of the different brands in this thread, I'm now thinking it might be a ROKU issue. It was just a couple of months past the 1 year warranty.  I'm thinking this is something manufacturers do to get people to buy the extended warranty. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ChuckHale,

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having trouble with your TCL Roku TV with the black screen, and we appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you took to resolve it.

We want to gather more information to review this case. Kindly provide the following details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue.

We look forward to hearing your response and receiving your device details.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ChuckHale
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Seriously?  This is some sort of canned response to all problems right?  Is it auto-generated?   How can I do all of those things and tell you what is on the screen when the problem itself is not being able to see anything but a black screen?

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, @ChuckHale.

We apologize for the misunderstanding. Could you confirm if you have already performed a hard reset on your TV by locating the reset button at the back and pressing and holding it until the TV restarts? If you did and the issue is persistent, this may be a sign of a hardware issue.

We recommend continuing to contact your TV manufacturer. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for its Roku OS products.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturer's contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV.

Hence, we'll send this over with your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team for further review and investigation.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.