Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WoodshopGirl
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution

Yeah, I think its more than that.  We have 4 tv's - 3 have Roku units that are all about a year old; the 4th TV in our home gym has an old Amazon Firestick.  After the last software update on Roku, we are now regularly seeing error messages on all 3 tv's with Roku saying poor signal or no connection at all.  BUT at the same time, there's a full signal on cell phones & tablets. 

I've run speed checks with our Linksys app and download speed is right where it should be.  Also the gym tv with the old firestick is the only tv that stays connected to our internet when the other 3 Roku-tv's have nothing.  We've rebooted our router, modem, and Roku units...but we shouldn't have to do this 2-3x's a day!

I just got an email from Roku announcing their new unit.  I think Roku is pulling an "Apple" - pushing out a Trojan Horse software update that causes these problems so consumers will just think it's time to upgrade to the new unit.  Remember Apple got busted for this, too....

Johnpie

Jump to solution

the advanced settings reset is key..I was down over 5 months..trying to reconnect.

Entering and entering my router pass code.

..errrrrr. Thank you for the advanced settings reset.

0 Kudos
Kay33

Jump to solution

All I had to do to fix the WIFI connection problem was  go to setting>system>advance system settings>network connection reset. This will restart your Roku TV. Once on, go back to setting>network setup connection>wireless, then put in your wifi password if any and connect. You should be good to go. 

0 Kudos
Bubbaq59
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with an Insignia Roku TV.  I got so frustrated that I went and bought a TCL Roku TV.  Less than a week I had the same problem.  No wireless networks found on scan and MAC Address was all Zeros.  These TVs were in our camper that I would use my hotspot on my phone when we went camping and my home wifi when at home.  After replacing the Insignia with the TCL in the camper I moved the Insignia to my basement workshop where it found my wifi and has worked ever since.  Yesterday took the TCL out of the camper and brought it in to the basement workshop and tried everything to get it to connect to the home wifi.  I tried reset, unplugging and replugging factory reset.  Nothing worked.  I removed a usb stick that I had installed in it for live pause on local channels and lo and behold it found the wifi signal after a button reset.  Let me know if anyone else tries this and has any luck.

mach

Jump to solution

“I have no idea so I’m going to give you some trash answer to get this off of my to do list. Have fun wasting time on some phone call, good bye.”

Bubbaq59
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well Mach,

Thanks for your input.  I have wasted a lot of time on the phone with TCL and Insignia.

I have got no where with Roku and decided to at least try to do something about it.

I think I have found a solution for my problem anyway.  I took the time to share what I

discovered and only asked that if it helped anybody else let me know.

Have a better day!

Pamelita

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
FMcDR
Binge Watcher

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R  Danny (since you seem to be the only Roku employee that is paying any slight attention):

You gave this reply on 07-20-2020. It's now 01-13-2021. I've been all through this thread and others concerning the same problem and you're still giving this same cut and paste answer. Why? Why is Roku basically ignoring hundreds of people who have posted on here with this same problem?

I've had a RCA Roku tv since 2019. It's worked fine until this past Saturday. I was watching it Friday night and then Saturday morning it all of a sudden could not find ANY of the 15+ wireless networks within reach I have 1 the rest are neighbours). I've tried everything suggested by your cookie cutter answer. I've tried everything I could find on this site and from other sites online. Nothing... my MAC address is still all 0's and it still won't find any networks. At one point it found the networks but lasted all of 30 seconds.

So my main question is what did you guys do to my tv and countless other people's? And what are you going to do to fix this? Unlike a lot of people who are having trouble with a $40 stick I paid hundreds for my tv so I will not be letting this go.

You owe your customers and explanation and a fix. Though I have an odd feeling you won't have any customers for much longer with all the bs you've created and ignoring people. I know if this isn't fixed I definitely will not be buying anything Roku again and basically making sure no one I knows buys Roku.

I will also be filling complaints with the various entities here in Canada that I can unless this is resolved.

-One severely pissed off Canadian.

Mscatoloni

Jump to solution

Couldn’t connect to my wireless after it was working fine for months.  After trying everything suggested even factory reset I finally fixed it by..... first connecting to my cell phone “hotspot” then downloading the software update it prompt me for. Once finished, I tried rebooting the wifi router one more time just to make sure, and then it finally connected.  Pretty sure it was the software update that did it as I tried several times before to reboot the wifi.   

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Mscatoloni wrote:

Couldn’t connect to my wireless after it was working fine for months.  After trying everything suggested even factory reset I finally fixed it by..... first connecting to my cell phone “hotspot” then downloading the software update it prompt me for. Once finished, I tried rebooting the wifi router one more time just to make sure, and then it finally connected.  Pretty sure it was the software update that did it as I tried several times before to reboot the wifi.   

It's scary that a we can be locked out of our own routers/wifi, and have to take the tv to a different location to use different wifi, to apparently complete the update (so it will work again with our home router/wifi).

I don't have a hotspot. I guess I'd stand at a freeway offramp "Roku user needing a hand up?"

The scary thing is: this all-zeroes can't connect problem has existed for a VERY LONG TIME. They have time to remove "favorites," but can't fix a very bizarre problem.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.