Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution

@Tryton77 wrote:

Hey I appreciate your enthusiasm to want to help but this is not at all clear...

Additionally I don't have a coax connection going into my TV I'm pulling streaming directly off of Wi-Fi.

You might want to throw a photo app to show what exactly you're doing to the back of the television set I am definitely not clear on what you're doing to fix a loose ground wire.

Please elaborate..

Thx,

Tryton

TCL appears to have occasional manufacturing issues with their internal components. The WiFi module within the TV case sometimes has a poor ground connection, and this causes the intermittent functionality. I believe the cause is a poor solder joint, and a quick hit with a soldering iron usually cures the problem. But that requires removing the back of the TV and locating the WiFi module.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KLIPKLIP
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's actually fastened with a screw. The screw is loose. Just need to tighten it with locktite (for anyone that doesn't know what this is, google it).

If you take off the back of the TV, you can see all the parts. Find the wifi board (which has a lan cable connector attached to it) and find the ground wire. It should be attached to a screw, and the screw is probably loose like mine was.

Or -- if that's too confusing -- take off the back of the TV and just look for loose screws. If you find a loose screw, that's probably your culprit.

I've had 0 issues since I fixed mine.

0 Kudos
htpttyo1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I believe they are saying hit the back of the TV where the protruding coax connector is

0 Kudos
billkrul

Jump to solution

You do not provide a name for the "cubes" or where to purchase them.

0 Kudos
YJackson

Jump to solution

Thank you for the help because this mess was really upsetting me this tv cost too much for stupid hang ups like this.

Tryton77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm glad you were able to rectify the problem I'm curious what exactly did you do? 

Did you attempt to reattach a ground wire connection on the back of the TV, or in the TV, or did you pull the power on the TV for a couple of minutes and then plug it back in and were able to re-establish a Wi-Fi connection?

Thx

0 Kudos
KLIPKLIP
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

INSIDE the TV.

If you take off the back of the TV, there are a set of computer boards inside. One of them has a ground wire that is attached to a screw. That screw is loose or has fallen out, and is probably the problem with everyone's TV here.

Put the screw back in.

If you are too scared or you wanna try a shortcut, make a fist and carefully bump/punch the back of the TV where the coaxial cable plugs in. That's roughly the spot where the ground wire is, and hitting/punching might re-establish a connection.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV used to drop network and doesn't do it now. 

rocky-racoon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I reached the same point you desribed and then it stopped working every time the system did an auto update. Eventully that sopped working and I could still do a recover, like you did.  I Then installed the latest SW from the USB laptop proceedure and could do the manual update but had to run setup and select store (home put me back into the loop). That worked 'til about 6 or so weeks ago and then the store selection stopped. The only thing I could do was do a manual software up date. I reinstalled the USB drive and it was rejected. The TCL message said invalid update. The version was 9.3.0. So, I am dead -- dor wi-fi capability.

Are you still working? 

0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Did you you ever receive a fix? And if so what version is it (I'm assuming a firmware/SW fix)? 

0 Kudos