Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryf
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Roku TV loses wifi connection and then can't find any wifi networks

Jump to solution

I’m glad we both found solutions, albeit in far different ways.

deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks - I agree.

One troubleshooting hint I thought of after posting that last night, which might be useful to people reading this thread is - if the WiFi board goes bad, your RF-based remote stops working too.  If you have an optical link remote, it will work just fine. If your remote is RF-based (higher-end remote, most have a local earphone jack) - it uses the same board as the WiFi for communications.

So two clues as to a bad WiFi board:  no (or intermittent) WiFi;  and no connectivity to an RF-based remote.

How do you tell the difference between an optical link remote and a wireless-RF-based remote?  The optical remote has to have a view of the TV to work. It won't work if you have it in your hand but are facing away from the TV.   The wireless-RF-based remote will work, even if you're out of sight of the TV (I think its range is about 25'.

Roron

Jump to solution

Can I set up my wifi throw the app on my phone

0 Kudos
Roron

Jump to solution

I need help putting my wifi on TV with out a remote

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Roron it is impossible to connect your TV to a wireless network without a remote. The app will not connect to your TV unless the TV and the phone are connected to the same private network. You can use a universal IR remote, so you don't have to have a Roku specific remote. Just make sure the remote you buy says it supports TCL TVs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku makes an IR remote...  and it's not terribly expensive. If the TV suddenly stopped connecting to the WiFi network chances are excellent the WiFi board went bad in it, or the grounding screw for it has come loose.  The board is located near the base of the TV right next to one of the loudspeakers. If the TV sound has been used at a higher volume I could see that causing the screw to gradually become loose and it losing ground and not working.

On mine the WiFi board went bad. I found a replacement board (and I eventually bought an entire kit of ALL the boards in it, which I've had to use once - power supply board crapped out) for small money ($70.)  I've since added a surge protector for the power for it and the board failures seem to have stopped.

If you're ambitious - and have some small level of skill and common sense, it's not difficult (except finding a place to lay it face-down) to remove the back cover. It's about 20 or so screws that have to be removed (and kept sorted - some are longer than others).  In that case I'd suggest trying to tighten up the screw holding the board to the frame, and see if that fixes things.  If it doesn't - you need the replacement board. It only took me a few days to get a replacement - but I reassembled mine, and plugged a Roku stick into one of the USB ports and used it that way until the new board arrive.  Disassemble/replace board = working TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just remember: the Roku player IR remote does not work for a Roku TV. Players and TVs use different IR codes. 

Dan

durjan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
If you're experiencing issues with your TCL Roku TV losing its Wi-Fi connection, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the problem. First, make sure your TV is within range of your wireless router and that there are no obstructions blocking the signal. You may also want to try restarting your router and TV to see if that helps restore the connection. If the problem persists, you can try resetting your TV's network settings or updating its firmware. You can also check for any software updates for your router. If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be helpful to contact TCL customer support for further assistance.
0 Kudos
deilenberger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Would you happen to have a contact point for TCL customer support?  Updating the TV's firmware might prove difficult if there is no WiFi connectivity.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku TV Partner Support Contact Information

TCL
https://support.tclusa.com/televisions
1-877-300-8837

https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-support-warranty-resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Dan