Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karmutt
Channel Surfer

TCL Roku TV freezing 15 seconds after startup (not a startup loop situation)...

Jump to solution

I have a six-year-old TCL 55UP120. It's had issues now and again and I've always been able to solve them. But today...

I turned on the TV and was able to get past the startup screen and onto my home screen like normal, but when I tried to select a channel the system froze. I tried to turn the TV off with the remote but couldn't, so I had to use the button on the TV to turn it off. I turned it on a second time and the same thing happened. The third time, it just hung up on the startup screen.

I was able to get back to the home screen after a restart and tried to get into my settings to see if a software update might fix the issue, but the system froze up again. And again and again and again and again.

I have roughly 15 seconds to go through menus and use the volume buttons on the remote before the system freezes. It's not an issue with the remote; the menu and volume buttons on the TV work during those 15 seconds as well, then stop working when the system freezes. I can turn the TV on with the remote, but can't turn it off; I have to use the button on the TV to turn it off, but I can't turn it on with that button.

I have tried all the recommended fixes multiple times - unplugging and holding the power button, unplugging all the cables going into the tv, button sequences on the remote, hard resets... I also tried to do a manual usb update but could get the system to recognize the drive. I'm hard-wired through ethernet, not using wi-fi (and have tried resetting with and without the cable plugged in). I've called TCL (no help) and chatted with Roku support (was told they need to research the issue).

The TV is not completely bricked, thankfully. I managed to get through the setup after a hard reset and can access my hdmi devices. Those work without issue. But again, I only have about 15 seconds to get the TV to connect to them and I cannot adjust the sound or do anything else with the remote after those 15 seconds pass. 

When I tried to do a system update through the settings menu, I noticed there was one from 10/28/2022 at around 1:00am (roughly 24 hours ago). It also showed that the last time the system looked for an update was from when I'd turned the TV on moments before. Every time I've turned the TV on while troubleshooting this, I've seen the blazing light that comes on when the system is updating. This is not normal; usually, a dim light just flashes a few times and then the tv turns on.

My gut feeling is that something went wrong with the update and the light is coming on because it's trying to finish or something (or the update simply wasn't compatible with my TV).

I don't know how to move forward from here. Has anyone run into this issue before?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL Roku TV freezing 15 seconds after startup (not a startup loop situation)...

Jump to solution

@djparekh 

Thanks for the follow up. We appreciate your patience while we looked into the manner.

The issue you are experiencing may be related to a hardware issue. At this time, we would recommend contacting your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30

Re: TCL Roku TV freezing 15 seconds after startup (not a startup loop situation)...

Jump to solution

I have a 55" TCL Roku TV (model 55US5800) and it just did the same exact thing I am 99% sure after an update.  I can see an update was done just before we had this problem

I tried everything including a factory reset using the button on the back of the TV but it's still freezing.

Hopefully someone posts a solution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rmiles

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with the TV freezing. Unable to change channels, sound or anything else. I have tried many of the things the others have done. No help

0 Kudos
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Bumping this.

It's been well over a week since I chatted with support and posted here. No response from Roku on either front.

The issue still has not been resolved and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

0 Kudos
djparekh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a 50UP120 TCL Roku TV and am facing the exact same issue. I have tried every possible troubleshooting step I could find online multiple times and there is no resolution.

First 15 seconds the TV is absolutely fine and immediately after irrespective of what page is open, the TV freezes and does not respond. No luck with customer care either so far. Please post a solution here if someone finds anything.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
djparekh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still facing this issue and haven't been able to use my TV for over a month now due to a glitch a software update caused. Anyone here able to find a fix?

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

While its very comforting that you "have passed your concerns along". Can you point to anywhere in this forum where you make the next entry, which starts "The technical staff says ........" followed by a concrete answer, procedure or remedy?

0 Kudos
djparekh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The technical staff, customer support and online forums had remedies like:

1. Restart the system

2. Resert the system

3. Unplug, replug, keep unplugged for an hour, use reset button at back of TV to trigger reset, etc.

None of this has worked. After 15 seconds the screen freezes and the only way to undo this is to unplug and replug. Every time the TV starts, everything works fine for 15 seconds and then freezes. Any remedy here would be helpful.

0 Kudos
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Checking back in on this. It's been seven weeks since I originally posted.

I do have some more info...

As mentioned in my first post, I am still able to access my HDMI devices so I have been able to watch things on the TV. Twice now, the TV has shut off randomly as I'm watching it. When I turned it back on, everything worked just as it should without any freezing. I ran software updates both times, but it did no good; when I turn the TV off and then back on, it's back to freezing up.

The TV is obviously capable of working properly, there's just some sort of glitch preventing it from doing so.

0 Kudos