Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian4750
Streaming Star

Re: TCL Roku TV & Google Home

Jump to solution

If this was only one model of TV i.e. TCL, that had the issue i would be pointing fingers to TCL, but when you have several different Brands having the issue then it is software.

Speaking as an IT Engineer with almost 20 years experience i can safely tell you that when different hardware has same issue then it boils down to Software.

Reasons for older Roku's still working is they use to work and were patched to current level.

Reasons the newer ones do not is the needed file(s) are either not there because they were deemed not needed but patch if found or the newer version with out the older runtimes fail to load the connection.

Like it has been said this issue is limited to Google Home and Alexa connections to TV.
Roku Remote app and Apple Homekit works.

and here is a kicker, Home Assistant works as well. 

0 Kudos
Brian4750
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

2 of these are true2 of these are true

Only 2 of these are true right now. so Roku is 50% correct.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users! 

Firstly, we appreciate your patience as we are still working on this and deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As we checked with our relevant team, this case is still in the process of reviewing and finding you the best resolution possible. Once we've been notified of updates, we will make sure to let the Community know. 

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jsano19

Jump to solution

Yes, this is a very interesting issue.  I have 2 new Roku TVs purchased in the last 2 month (an Onn 32 inch and a Hisense 58) and both have this issue.  Still have 2 older functioning Roku TVs in the house (TCL and a Hisense) purchased about 2 years ago that are still working fine, but these new ones just will not work with Google Home (Roku app is fine).  The whole point to getting one of the TVs was to display a family calendar (through PC input) most of the time with the intent of having a Google Home routine to turn the TV on at a time in the morning and off later in the day, but obviously with these issues, that routine always fails since they will not do anything through the Google Home app ("something went wrong" error every time).

0 Kudos
TN2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

FYI, Good News

My new TV is now working with Google.

I did not change anything other than have a ticket open with Roku.

I told Google to Turn Off the TV's thinking my other 2 Roku's would turn off as normal and the Living Room TV turned off as well.

I then started using commands specifying my Living Room TV and I can verify all is now working with Google.

0 Kudos
Brian4750
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am seeing the same thing myself for both Alexa and Google Home integration.

0 Kudos
Newton57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks to whoever dealt with the challenge.

We are now able to control our TCL TV with Google Home!

Most impressed.

Well pleased!

0 Kudos
lvautier
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dang it!  I am the one who started this thing and I still cannot access my TV...Not fair!😞

0 Kudos
edicius828
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just confirmed that my two newer TCL TVs are finally responding to Google Home as well.

What I had to do initially was turn both on manually (as one showed offline in GH and one was still 'Something Went Wrong'ing), then their status showed as 'On' in GH. Turned them off in GH, no errors. Tested voice commands with my Google Minis and those are working too.

So it seems that some new firmware is being pushed to at least the TCL Roku TVs at this point. For anyone that doesn't have it working yet, go into your TV and check for updates, there may be one waiting for you.

0 Kudos
Silkiwan
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Can confirm it is working here too. Thank you for making this right. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.