cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tamaramay2
Reel Rookie

Streambar SE failure due to loose optical cable

Jump to solution

My Roku 4 device stopped supporting Hulu and eventually the new version of Sling. I could no longer stream these services on my main living room TV although still could with my older Roku devices on my other TVs. After unsuccessfully trouble shooting with Roku and Sling I finally figured Roku wants me to purchase a new player and purchased the Streambar SE. This was successfully installed (needed to use the optical cable as my TV does not have HDMI arc).

At this time the Optical Cable has pulled out of the Streambar - it does not click in to the StreamBar fully. No amount of troubleshooting fixes this problem and now I am out and in worse shape than ever (no sound can't stream anything).

And now I can't for the life of me find a live agent to discuss. Thoughts? Buy a new cable from a 3rd party? Switch to a different brand streaming device? IDK it shouldn't be this hard to "save money" by streaming. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streambar SE failure due to loose optical cable

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thanks for sharing it here in the Roku Community, @tamaramay2!

We understand you're having difficulties with your Roku Streambar SE's audio. Rest assured that we're here to provide the assistance you need so you can get back on streaming quickly. 

Have you tried taking the little nub off of the end of the cable? This should be an (orange, white, or clear) plastic cover over the cable end. Also, please be advised that the cable should go in with a click. Therefore, a little force should be applied after removing the tip protectors. The audio cable should be aligned correctly to hear an audible click. 

This YouTube video shows how to insert an optical cable at the back of the device. 

We hope this will sort out everything for you. Let us know if you need more help.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thanks for sharing it here in the Roku Community, @tamaramay2!

We understand you're having difficulties with your Roku Streambar SE's audio. Rest assured that we're here to provide the assistance you need so you can get back on streaming quickly. 

Have you tried taking the little nub off of the end of the cable? This should be an (orange, white, or clear) plastic cover over the cable end. Also, please be advised that the cable should go in with a click. Therefore, a little force should be applied after removing the tip protectors. The audio cable should be aligned correctly to hear an audible click. 

This YouTube video shows how to insert an optical cable at the back of the device. 

We hope this will sort out everything for you. Let us know if you need more help.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tamaramay2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well thank you yes that helped me insert the cable tightly with a "click". Unfortunately I still have no sound coming from the Streambar (so funny that it actually DID WORK for a while with the little caps on). I assume the TV Sound mode needs to be set for External Speaker. There are 2 choices, TV Speaker or External Speaker. I can get sound from the Antenna signal and the TV speaker but no sound at all from the StreamBar when I stream no matter which sound mode I use on the TV.

RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @tamaramay2!

We're happy to hear that we were able to help improve your current situation. Since you're still encountering issues with your Roku Streambar SE's audio, we can troubleshoot it further by performing a system reboot on your device. 

Here's how...

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

You may also need to use the "External Speaker" mode on your TV. If you are unsure about the procedure, please refer to your TV manual for detailed instructions. Alternatively, you can reach out to the TV manufacturer for additional support. In addition, please ensure that your device's volume is turned up to a level that allows you to clearly hear the audio.

We hope this resolves your issue and finally gets you back on streaming. If the problem persists, kindly reach out to us, and we'll help you further. 

Best regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.