Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OneEyedKristy70
Reel Rookie

Sound cutting out with ABC, Hulu and Max apps randomly

I've been having audio issues with some apps - ABC, Hulu and Max.  The sound cuts out randomly and the only way to fix it is to either hit the back button a couple times and then restart my show or to exit the app and then open it again.  This doesn't happen with any other app that I have used on Roku.  And this audio issue has been going on for years now.  It doesn't even matter which Roku device I have used - Express, Premiere, etc.  

Hoping to see if anyone else experiences this issue and if they ever got it fixed.  I can't justify paying for Hulu or Max when the sound keeps cutting out.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sound cutting out with ABC, Hulu and Max apps randomly

Hi, @OneEyedKristy70.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing it here in the Roku Community! 

We understand you're having trouble with your Roku device's audio, which keeps cutting out while randomly streaming ABC, Hulu, and Max channels. We want to keep an eye on this so that we can delve deeper into the matter.

Have you considered replacing the HDMI cables connected to your Roku device? HDMI cables are designed to carry high-definition video and audio signals, making them crucial for delivering top-quality pictures and sound. Changing them might make a difference, as it could be an HDMI cable issue. Also, try the devices on a different TV to isolate the problem you're experiencing further. 

If the issue persists, kindly get back to us with the following details below: 

• Is this only happening to the channels above? 
  • Have you received any recent updates? If so, kindly provide the latest software version of your Roku. 
  • Are there any other external devices connected to your TV and Roku? (e.g. receiver, soundbars or speakers)

We are looking forward to your prompt response. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
OneEyedKristy70
Reel Rookie

This issue ONLY happens on the ABC, Hulu and Max apps.  Of course, ABC app is now gone from Roku.  There are literally no other apps that have this audio issue.  I use Netflix, TBS, Frevee, Plex, CNN, HGTV, Hallmark, Roku Channel and other apps and never have this problem.  

I have tried everything I can think of and nothing resolves it.  Initially I figured it was a Disney issue because of ABC and Hulu.  But then I just subscribed to Max a few days ago and am having the same issue with it.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @OneEyedKristy70!

Since it only happened to the mentioned channels, we wanted to clarify if you have tried this: 

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart Now.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Streaming Store and add the channel again.

If you haven't done so yet, you can try applying it to the affected channels and see if that corrects the issue. 

Let us know what you find out. 

Thanks,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
OneEyedKristy70
Reel Rookie

Sadly this didn't help.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.