cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CompC
Reel Rookie

Suddenly no sound from soundbar, HDMI ARC and CEC stopped working

Jump to solution

I have a soundbar connected to my Sharp Roku TV via HDMI ARC. Everything has been fine for a while now. The other day, without having changed anything, I noticed a few problems:

- I have no sound coming from my soundbar when I set the soundbar to the HDMI ARC input. Other inputs on the soundbar play audio fine, and setting the TV audio to output audio through the TV speakers or optical/aux works, so I assume the issue is with the TV.
- Using my Roku remote to change volume used to show the volume level in the corner of my screen while it changed the volume on the soundbar. The lights on my soundbar show that the TV actually *is* adjusting the volume on the soundbar, but the volume level number isn't indicated on my TV anymore, and as stated above, there's still no actual sound being played.
- Up until now I could turn on my PS5 or Nintendo Switch and it would power on my TV and change to the appropriate input. This isn't happening anymore.

I didn't change anything. Just the day before, all of this was working fine, as it had been for years. I tried power cycling the soundbar and the TV, connecting the soundbar to the TV with a different HDMI cable, and checking for updates on the TV (no update since January). I can't get sound working anymore.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong here?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Suddenly no sound from soundbar, HDMI ARC and CEC stopped working

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Gatorgogo @wydoihavetoregi!

We truly appreciate all your efforts to resolve the issue, but we understand that it persists.

Please be advised that there is a connectivity issue between your TV and sound bar. We highly recommend that you reach out to your TV manufacturer, as this issue seems to be related to the connectivity between your Samsung TV and Yamaha soundbar. They will be the ones who can handle this kind of issue on both devices.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else you'd like us to address. We'd be more than willing to listen and take immediate action, as we are committed to finding a solution to your concerns.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I would unplug the power from everything involved for a minute or so and then plug everything back in.  Sometimes things just need a hard reset.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CompC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried that an unfortunately, it didn't fix anything.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @CompC!

We appreciate the attempts, and we're here to help you further!

It is important to understand that not all HDMI ports are created equal. Only the HDMI ARC (or HDMI eARC) port allows your soundbar and Roku TV to communicate properly over the HDMI cable. Double-check the connection and make sure your soundbar is connected to the HDMI port specifically labeled "HDMI ARC" or "ARC" (or "HDMI eARC" or "eARC"). 

We highly suggest trying these steps: Before you look at connection settings, try restoring a possible breakdown in communication using the suggestions below.

• Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Unplug both ends of the HDMI cable that connects your soundbar and Roku TV. Wait a moment and then firmly reattach both ends of the HDMI cable, making sure to use the HDMI ARC port on your TV.

If the behavior persists:

• Power cycle your soundbar and TV. Unplug the power cord from your Roku TV Ready soundbar and your Roku TV. After a few moments, plug the cables back in and power both devices. Test again.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@CompC 

With soundbar connected to hdmi-arc. Go into the settings of the Sharp Roku tv and refresh the cec devices connected to it:

settings> system> control other devices(CEC)> upgrade cec device>

Edmund

0 Kudos
CompC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It was connected to the correct input. After all, these features had been working for years and I didn’t change any inputs on my TV.

I tried factory resetting the TV and that didn’t help either. I just have no audio over HDMI ARC anymore and CEC no longer works, no matter what I try.

wydoihavetoregi
Channel Surfer

All HDMI/Arc audio stopped working

Jump to solution

Chromecast, Sonos soundbar no longer working after system restart. This sh@t is driving me nuts. Why does this company keep delivering faulty software? No idea how to fix. 

0 Kudos
Gbh880

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem - started this week too. My soundbar doesn’t show up as a cec device, HDMI Arc says it’s “inactive” so replaced the HDMI- still not working. Reset sound bar. Unplugged both sound bar and tv. Nothing working for me either. I think they did some kind of update that’s going to force us to get new soundbars or some **bleep** like that.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

What does the volume icon look like, a horn, upright speaker, or is it picture of a soundbar?

Edmund

0 Kudos
CompC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When it used to work, it was a horn, not a soundbar. Now, I get nothing.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.