cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burbs79
Reel Rookie

Sleep timer on tv doesn’t turn off speaker

Jump to solution

1-2 months ago, my Roku streambar suddenly started staying on when I set my TV’s sleep timer as I do every night. My TV goes off when the sleep timer is done, but the sound still comes out of the Roku speaker. Any idea what changed and how to fix it so the sound turns off when the TV timer goes off?  
TV is Samsung

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sleep timer on tv doesn’t turn off speaker

Jump to solution

Hi @Sharoo,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for posting and you mentioned that you want to know how to enable the feature where you can keep listening to your Roku device while your screen is off. I will do my best to provide information to your question.

First, can I ask what is the Roku model you are using? Are you using a Roku TV?

If you have a Roku TV, we recommend enabling Fast TV Start on your Roku TV at any time using the instructions below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku TV remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Fast TV Start
  6. Highlight Enable 'Fast TV Start', and check the box to enable it

However, If you have a compatible Roku device and listen to audio streamed from a Bluetooth device such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer when the TV screen is off. you can simply power off your television using your TV remote and Bluetooth audio will continue playing. You can also begin playing Bluetooth audio on your smartphone, tablet, or computer when the TV screen is already off. Just make sure to connect your Bluetooth device to your Streambar or soundbar before you begin. 

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

For more information about how to turn on Bluetooth pairing and connect your phone to your Roku device days, visit our Support page here: How to turn on Bluetooth pairing and connect your phone to your Roku device | Official Roku Support

Additional Roku resources that you might find helpful: How to listen to music when the screen on your Roku TV is off | Official Roku Support

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
MKM89
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have the same issue.  It was working previously - the audio stopped on the streambar when the tv went off and now it doesn't work anymore.  I can't figure out why that happened.  

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MKM89,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to know more about how we can help. I understand that your Roku Streambar is not working each time you screen off your Roku TV, is that correct? We recommend enabling Fast TV Start on your Roku TV at any time using the instructions below: 

1. Press Home on your Roku TV remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Fast TV Start
  6. Highlight Enable 'Fast TV Start', and check the box to enable it

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MKM89
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I meant to say, my Roku Streambar continues to play audio after my Samsung TV shuts off with the TV's sleep timer. It previously worked (by shutting off the audio) and now it continues to play audio. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MKM89,

Thanks for the clarifications.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. How long has the issue been occurring? Have you checked if the Fast TV Start feature is enabled or not? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further? Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device.

Please keep us posted with the details and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Burbs79
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was the original poster of this issue.  As mentioned, neither of have Roku TVs, so there isn't a Fast TV Start option.  We both have Samsung TVs, mine is model UN32J5205AF.  We have a Roke Streambar.  Mine is model 9102x and serial number 2A1191011878. It has now been at least 3 months since the issue started.  I set the sleep timer on my Samsung TV with my TV remote and then select what to play with the Roku remote.  The speaker used to turn off when the TV turned off with the sleep timer, but now the speaker continues playing until the movie I selected is over instead of turning off with the TV.  It is very annoying that it stays on for so much longer.  It this continues, I'll have to find another speaker to use in my bedroom, but I would like this to be fixed since it used to work.  Thanks for finding a solution to this fairly new issue.

mfamilian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same issue. It started out of nowhere last week. This is a huge issue for me - I need the sleep timer functionality. Please help!

Eric820
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I just installed the sound bar pro last week. Worked good for a couple of days then when I shut the tv off but the speaker stays on. Very annoying when I’m ready to go to sleep. Please Roku, help us solve this problem 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Eric820

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

To provide further assistance, could you please provide us with more information? Specifically, we would like to know if you are still able to access the sleep timer feature on your device after adding the Roku Streambar Pro. Additionally, we would appreciate it if you could try setting a sleep timer using the following four methods: from the Settings menu, Shortcut tile, Options menu, and Voice command. This will help us diagnose and resolve any potential issues.

Please follow the steps here: How to use a sleep timer to turn off your Roku TV

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,

Nimfa

0 Kudos
Burbs79
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I provided the requested information 2 weeks ago and haven't had a reply.  I would appreciate recognition that the information has been reviewed and is being looked into. @RokuMary-F