Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku update 12.5 broke the Plex app

Plex live TV/Roku OS 12.5 fails on 1080i channels 

Plex live TV 720p channels work, but 1080i channels fail after about 2 minutes on a Roku Streambar and a Roku Ultra that are both on Roku OS 12.5, version 4169.

No channels fail on a different Streambar and a Roku 3 that are still on Roku OS 12.

Plex settings for video on all my Roku devices:

Local Quality: Original

Direct Play: Auto

Allow Direct Stream checked

Allow MPEG2 checked

(Ethernet connected)

While streaming, the Plex server shows for both Streambars (one on OS 12.5, the other on OS 12):

Local – 10 Gbps

Video: 1080i (MPEG2VIDEO), Direct Stream.

Audio: English (AC3 5.1), Direct Stream

I recreated the problem on the OS 12.5 Streambar. Plex server log said “Client stopped playback”, indicating that the stoppage occurred on the Roku device.

Updated subsequently to build 4172, still broken.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TulsaTV,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're experiencing with the Plex channel. Please follow these troubleshooting steps below:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

@RokuJohnB Deleted Plex channel, did System Restart, re-added channel. Problem still there (Build 4172 now).

0 Kudos
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

Could be a problem with one of these updates for OS 12.5 (https://blog.roku.com/developer/roku-os-12-5)

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @TulsaTV.

May we know if the issue only occurs with the Plex app? Also, we have seen other linked devices on your account; was this happening to all? Is using an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, a solution to the issue?

We hope you'll give us an update.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

May we know if the issue only occurs with the Plex app?

---As this is Plex Live TV (i.e., using an HDHomeRun and an antenna on the Plex Server), this would be a uniquely different situation from apps like Netflix that stream content from the Internet already in a stream-friendly form. But no, have not had problems with any other video apps.

Also, we have seen other linked devices on your account; was this happening to all?

----See my comments above about all four of our current Roku devices. Note that there are two Streambars; the one on OS 12 works, the one on OS 12.5 does not.

Is using an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, a solution to the issue?

---As noted above, all the affected (and unaffected) Rokus are on Ethernet. Other devices such as a phone or Chromecast with Google TV do work, but this does not bear on the situation of using the settings noted above, such as allowing MPEG2 files, Direct Stream, etc.

Please escalate to the developers.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for providing us with the precise information needed, @TulsaTV.

No worries. We'd be more than happy to forward your concern to the appropriate Roku team for further review and to fix this as soon as possible. For us to effectively do that, kindly provide us with the following information below: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • What version/build is the app/channel? (this can be found by highlighting the channel/app on the Home screen and pressing the Star* button)

Once this has been fully reviewed, we will make sure to update the Community. In the meantime, we appreciate you for bearing with us as we work on this. We'll be looking forward to your update.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

Model 9102R Streambar
Serial YL009P520607 
Device ID 2A1149520607
OS 12.5.0 Build 4172-95
GC version 10.1.517
Issue ID # 07-411-353
Plex Version 7.9.3.8721-780c139bf-Plex
(Oddly, highlighting the Plex channel and pressing * did not bring up the usual Move App, etc screen. This was after deleting the channel and re-installing per previous directions. I got the version from the Plex app Settings/General.)

Model 9102R Streambar
Serial YL008L451772
OS 12.0.0 Build 4184-95

Model 4660X Ultra
Serial YJ006F636837
Device ID CK4896636837
OS 12.5.0 Build 4172-46
GC version 10.1.517
Issue ID # 37-411-361
Plex Version 7.9 Build 3

Model 4230X Roku 3
Serial 4E7562098271
OS 12.0.0 Build 4184-04
0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TulsaTV,

Thanks for providing these details in the Roku Community!

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have already forwarded your concern along with your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation and to fix the issue as soon as we can.
Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

Thank you! I provided all info to Plex as well.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.