Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScienceMan
Reel Rookie

Right side of the screen goes dim

Weird that TCL has not had a software update fix. I called TCL and they ask for everything except my first born (seral number, place and date of purchase, model, serial number, proof of purchase, picture of problem). Then they had me check for software update, do restart, unplug, power off from TV, do factory reset etc.  The only thing I could not do was a hard reset because TV is mounted on wall and I could not get behind it.  Then they told me I am out of warranty anyway.  TCL has a 1 year warranty, my credit card added an extra year. I bought this set exactly 4 years ago (Dec 2019) so I am out of luck. I will continue to check back to  see if someone has a fix that works. Otherwise I just need to put this in the trash

7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Right side of the screen goes dim

Hi @ScienceMan,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku TV. Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aberteam
Channel Surfer

I have the exact same problem.  This is obviously a hard hardware backlight problem that is either unusual or is not being reported enough.  Either way, TCL is not concerned, otherwise they would have offered to replace the affected TVs.

And the correct Subject tile should read, “Right side of screen goes dim and stays permanently dim no matter what you try and do to fix it”

ScienceMan
Reel Rookie

Thanks John.  I have this dimming problem whether I am watching TV or Netflix etc. Attached is an example. Interesting this snapshot looks brighter than in real life. I guess the camera adds light. The right side of screen is actually darker than this picture shows.

TV right side dark Example 2.jpg

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @aberteam @ScienceMan

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

Seeing this issue occur on your Roku devices, we'd like to make sure this issue is determined specifically as hardware or software. May we know if you're using a Roku Streaming device or a Roku TV? If you're using a Roku TV, what brand is it? Also, what troubleshooting steps have you attempted to resolve the issue?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
aberteam
Channel Surfer

Hello Kash,

I have a 43S403 TCL/Roku TV.  I’ve tried all the suggested button press, plug unplugging and plugging, hardware and software resets, system settings changes, powering off and on.  To no avail.  The right side of the screen remains dim exactly as described and depicted in all of the other forums posts.  A question to is; is anyone at Roku/TCL actually going to start trouble shooting the affected TV’s in their workshop?

Here’s hoping this helps motivate you to actually do something.

0 Kudos
ScienceMan
Reel Rookie

Hey Kash

I have a Roku TCL TV Model 43S405. The issue occurs whether I am watching TV or a streaming service like Netflix. In fact it appears on the main screen after power-up (before I select TV, cable, Netflix etc).

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ScienceMan @aberteam,

Welcome, and thanks for keeping the Roku community posted!

We'd like to see more about what's going on here and if you're able to reproduce the issue. Please share a screenshot of it so we can take a closer look at it.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos