Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adv34
Channel Surfer

Game mode keeps overriding tv settings on ps3

Jump to solution

Wondering if theres anything that can be done. Currently using a 55s535 qled tcl tv and decided to try to setup my old ps3 on it since i recently discovered how to properly use motion smoothing etc to enhance images.

The problem Im having is no matter what setting i put on the inputs under hdmi mode, anytime the ps3 changes from 1080p res (the home menu) into a game (720p usually) it resets hdmi mode and triggers the game mode will be turned on countdown. Choosing no stops it and then when quitting the game to the home menu (resolution goes back to 1080p ) the same thing happens again with game mode prompt.

Ive been trouble shooting this for a couple days and just now found that the resolution changes is triggered this on the tcl tv. Hdmi mode defaults back to compatibility usually. This is making it unusable for my use case and need some help if anyone knows what could be done. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adv34
Channel Surfer

Re: Game mode keeps overriding tv settings on ps3

Jump to solution

I found a way to bypass this in a way that's ideal for ps3 and any console under the ps3 gen (gamecube, ps2 etc). I used a device called "mclassic" which is a hdmi adapter that upscales the image from the ps3 to the hdmi cable to leads to the tv and keeps a solid 1080p signal even if ps3 (or other consoles) are rendering at 720p or less. The tv only sees one  consistent signal from the device and none of the internal resolution changes the ps3 was sending out. Its a slightly costly way to fix this but the better picture was worth it and this solved alot of my issues also.

Strange enough there was also an issue with the original ps3 cable and sound whenever the tv changed into game mode from the previois resolution changes initially described. Newer standard hdmi cable fixed that but not the game mode shenanigans until i used the mclassic. Closed for now but worth keeping up for other having a similar problem in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
adv34
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

For additional info, a ps3 is a 2006ish device so theres no triggered game mode low latency stuff on its end in system settings like how a ps4/5 can do.

0 Kudos
adv34
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I found a way to bypass this in a way that's ideal for ps3 and any console under the ps3 gen (gamecube, ps2 etc). I used a device called "mclassic" which is a hdmi adapter that upscales the image from the ps3 to the hdmi cable to leads to the tv and keeps a solid 1080p signal even if ps3 (or other consoles) are rendering at 720p or less. The tv only sees one  consistent signal from the device and none of the internal resolution changes the ps3 was sending out. Its a slightly costly way to fix this but the better picture was worth it and this solved alot of my issues also.

Strange enough there was also an issue with the original ps3 cable and sound whenever the tv changed into game mode from the previois resolution changes initially described. Newer standard hdmi cable fixed that but not the game mode shenanigans until i used the mclassic. Closed for now but worth keeping up for other having a similar problem in the future.

0 Kudos