Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madarp
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku tv is on Black Screen 10/27/2022

Hello @RokuMary-F I am a new user on this forum, looking for answers how to recover from Black Screen Of Death on my TCL Roku TV.  The sound works, the backlight is on (seen through rear screw holes). I have tried the 30-sec reset button procedure several times with no result.  There is no way for me to read any information from the screen.  The TV is connected to internet with ethernet cable, but it does not download any new firmware on its own.  It just sits there, in darkness.  I would like to open a support case.

TCL model 43S525TAAA

Serial No. 1906GTC005782A00058

madarp
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuKariza-D , indeed I have already talked directly to TCL support about this.  The person took me through all the many diagnostic step that they knew of, including the Factory Reset, and checking for active backlight by turning on the TV and tapping the screen to look for a flash response.  In the end, they said in a nutshell "Too bad for you .. take it to a TCL repair place".  Now me personally, I have been an embedded software professional for my entire career and this smells like a bad firmware update issue, if I ever saw one.  I would love to perform a USB firmware downgrade to an earlier Roku version (already found the update.roku file for my brand of TV) but I just cannot get through the process without visibility on the screen itself.   This is the peril of combining two devices into one (Roku + TV).  It becomes hard to isolate the fault between the two systems if one of them misbehaves.  The fact that I'm still able to hear the navigation sounds as I click around with the remote tells me that Roku is still active.  It shows up on my network and is controllable from the Roku phone app.  The backlight is on.  It looks like Roku wants to display a black frame on the screen, and can't get past that.

Paul65
Streaming Star

Sounds exactly like my experience. So I now have a 75" doorstop....and a new Sony 85" that DOES NOT run Roku. Will never buy anything TCL or Roku again, and am warning everyone I know.

madarp
Channel Surfer

Ah @RokuKariza-D , I see you have brought out the expected "cut & paste" response of asking for steps 1-2-3.  Please let me remind you, as many other have also said:  I cannot even complete step 1 in this situation.  THERE IS NO INFORMATION ON THE SCREEN.  I am unable to navigate the Roku system by sight.  Pretend that I am a blind person; would you ask a blind person to perform step 1?

I do thank you for responding promptly however.  At least you are attempting to help solve the issue.   Can you propose a different troubleshooting option that does not involve reading any information from the screen?

Shdwz

OK so recently my Roku has been having an error where it starts at a black screen I hold the reset button for 30 seconds it come up as if it is booting up but then it just freezes and returns to the black screen and while its on the black screen the bottom light is just on a sort of high beam mode 

0 Kudos
Chiefs2023

Re: Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

My TCL had the black screen issue 30 min before the SUPER BOWL!. TCL customer service was not able to help me the following day and with the reset either…disappointing indeed #TCL

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Shdwz,

Thanks for the post and for sharing your observation.

We're sorry to hear that you're having this experience. Please be advised that we are currently aware of the issue and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. Can you please provide your Roku TV brand and model?

Please keep us posted with the details and thank you for your patience regarding this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @madarp @Chiefs2023,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community.

We'll share these details with the appropriate team for further investigation. We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating this issue.

In the meantime, if you have not already, can you please provide us with the following information:

• brand and model TV (this can be seen on the back of the TV)
  • press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times to obtain a tracker ID (we are aware that this tracker ID will be unseen due to the black screen)
    • date stamp when you triggered the tracker ID
  •  can you see a picture on screen with the use of a flashlight

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RNicholas

Over the past couple of days, we have a black screen, but the closed captions still show.   Other programs work, just this one room TV and one show (Suits) no longer shows images, just the closed captions.  Any thoughts here on what to do?    Thanks

0 Kudos