Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Re: New Roku Streambar - wired ethernet port?

Jump to solution

Bought a Streambar and thought I'd chance an old Belkin Gigbit USB 2.0 adaptor and see what happened before buying one of the new listed ones below.

This thing at least 5 years old. Worked perfect

This is the one pictured below ..... can get them for £8.00 on ebay!

100% working and solid. Maybe is helpful.

s-l640.jpg

stuthill1106
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What is your connection speed for your Roku using this ?

0 Kudos
Tirebiter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

100mbs

0 Kudos
Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@stuthill1106 wrote:

What is your connection speed for your Roku using this ?

Can't say as I know or have measured (or know how to measure) but given the Roku itself is rated at 100mb then most likely its that.

But it des prove that a gigabit device can be deployed if not at optimum speed.

Also strips a big old slice of cost out if you pick up a higher spec device at 25% of the cost .... and zero set up.

0 Kudos
Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Quite a fan of Ugreen devices ..... seem nice quality generally speaking but just to note that I ordered the latest version and this is not working with the Streambar.

The one that just landed here is pt number 50922. 

I'm going to try source the one you mention. I'm sure will work fine. But just a note of caution to others that not all Ugreen adaptors are so forgiving.

Edit: Just read someone updated to 9.4 and their RJ45 adaptors worked fine ..... going to give that a go before sending back

0 Kudos
Chris82
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi

If I purchase the TRENDnet adaptor would the Roku Streambar work if I use CAT 7 cable as that’s the cable I currently have running.

I understand CAT 7 cable is a bit overkill for this setup but would I be able to use this or would I need to use CAT 6 or CAT 5E etc…

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi there Chris,

You can use any of those without issue. And to be honest without much tangible benefit either. 

Think if it was me I'd be replacing all my old RJ45's with the newest version but the reality is you won't see any measurable benefit, just stepping up your environment for when that might be possible which I think will be a long time yet.

I have all three versions on three different Roku machines and all works fine. Not by any design, just the ones that came out of the box 🙂

Cheers

Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just to mention in case useful for others treading this path.

The 9.4 upgrade and test of the latest Ugreen device did not work. I sent it back and ordered the older model.

This one 100% works .....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Chromebook/dp/B00MYT481C/ref=sr_1_1?dchild...

The Amazon listed Ugreen item number is 20254. And cheap at £13 shipped.

0 Kudos
Chris82
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I ordered the TRENDnet one and use it with CAT 7 cable and it works perfectly.

Thanks again for your help 👍

0 Kudos
Alpdx

Jump to solution

Response from @RokuDanny-R needs updating. First link now goes to adapter with a chipset you did not list (one commenter says did not work), other linked item is no longer available. Also, can you clarify, does the streambar PRO also allow for ethernet via usb adapter? Just bought at BB last night, and wake up to find Roku removed all product info from website

0 Kudos