Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erwinsusara
Reel Rookie

Re: New Roku Streambar - wired ethernet port?

Jump to solution

robzr, Check with your network engineers about that statement. I used to be one.

0 Kudos
robzr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Things have changed since token ring

erwinsusara
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

robz, Worked on token ring (16mb) too, but was not a fan of IBM's implementation. Interesting how you have a lot to say without any technical information to support your argument, but rather take a shot at me and the inference that I am too old to know what the latest technologies are capable of. I'd appreciate if you'd be helpful with a technical explanation rather than the trolling.

0 Kudos
Atacama40
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Evening people, I mess about with tech bits and have connected a few Roku devices to our fairly sizable GB home network. 

As an ex VP of IT for a significant Japanese consumer electronics company ..... (i.e I know little about the tech but a lot about management) I think it's correct to say that current day devices do not default to the lowest common denominator. I should add that I'm also of an age that saw the end of token ring, coax, twinax and all that stuff as well.

You are absolutely right to say that it's off that Roku didn't stuff a decent NW chip in their box for the 0.4 p that it might have cost to do so. But that said, I don't believe it makes a huge amount of difference to day to day performance.

Also I'm fairly certain (though far from expert) that the lower grade performance will not bring down the overall network performance.

I run two 48 port Netgear GB switches in our place connected to a load of Sonos, TV's, CCTV, lighting, a few PC's  a couple of NAS's and printers and some other rubbish and I'm not aware that the Roku device (with lower bandwidth) drags the other stuff down.

Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
Jmatz2019

Jump to solution

Bought the UGreen adapter as suggested as had been pleased with their products in the past. And can confirm it works like a charm, I restarted my Roku and it automatically set to wired connection and even saw a slight increase in internet speed by repeatedly testing wired vs prior wireless test with Netflix speed test

0 Kudos
philiptolosa31
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good day. 

Does Roku Streambar support ASIX AX88772 chipset for USB to RJ45 LAN? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@philiptolosa31 

According to the Roku support pages (https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813) the Streambar 9102 is compatible and is supported.

They have a list of tested USB ethernet adapters on that page.  Although users have indicated that other ethernet adapters have worked for them aside from the ones listed, best to look for USB 2.0 | 10/100 | ASIX AX8877X (ie. AX88772) ( specs to help ensure compatibility.

This is link to one tested by Roku (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00484IEJS/)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
philiptolosa31
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can an RTL8153B USB2.0 TO LAN chipset be compatible with Roku streambar?

Thank you so much. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@philiptolosa31 

The Roku Support article mentioned above only mentions AX8877X or SMSC95XX chipsets in its compatibility specs.

If you already have an USB 2.0 ethernet adapter with the Realtek RTL8153B chipset, you could try it, but I would not purchase it in order to try it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AJer
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I bought the TrendNet Ethernet Adapter from Amazon.    According to Roku Settings my connection speed increased from low 80MBPS to mid 90's MBPS with the Ethernet Adapter.   BUT, for some strange reason I noticed very brief pauses while streaming a variety of different Apps on Roku (with circle going around) ... again just for a second or so, but kind of annoying.   Then, I also have Discovery+ subscription on Roku which started giving me messages that my Internet was out and stopped streaming via this App completely even though there was nothing wrong with my Internet.    I finally gave up and just returned the Ethernet Adapter back to Amazon for a refund and went back to wireless streaming via this Roku Streambar device.  

0 Kudos