Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burgerface
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing out of nowhere

Jump to solution

We need the option to roll back to the software version before the Smart Picture update. There is precedent - Roku let users downgrade from 10.5 when it made a mess. The continued requests from reps for patience are unacceptable; a fix is needed yesterday.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ZanyHunter and @Burgerface,

Thanks for reaching out!

Could you confirm if you see an option to disable the motion smoothing?

Also, you're likely seeing a judder reduction but this isn't motion smoothing. Learn more here: https://blog.roku.com/developer/roku-tv-judder-reduction and let us know if you're still experiencing an issue.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Burgerface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No option to turn off motion smoothing is present.

Whether it's frame-generation or judder reduction causing the soap-opera effect, it's still there and beyond irritating. We need the option to turn off this recently added video processing option no matter the proper nomenclature.

The only thing that's worked is to use Game Mode on an external input and stream through another device... Which defeats the point of having a Roku TV.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuJanadeeK 

I'm so disappointed to report that my Roku Select is having the same issue. One of the main reasons I bought this TV is that there was no way to turn on motion smoothing. Now House of the Dragon looks like community theater and there's no way to turn it off. Call it what you want ("judder reduction" or "motion smoothing") but the point is that this soap opera effect can't be turned off on my TV or many others, and it didn't happen until the recent forced update. I really hope this can be resolved with another updated in the near future.

Device:  G846X 50" Roku Select Series 4K TV

Serial #: X01200KNPE0P (S0NS43CNPE0P)

Software: 13.0.0 build 24062ET

Tracker ID: 0P-301-139

Noticed on: Disney+ and HBO Max so far

0 Kudos
Burgerface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've switched all my streaming to our xbox console. It's less convenient, but running the TV in game mode stops the madness.

I'd rather stuck with the convenience of the Roku software built on to the TV (and keep feeding them those valuable streaming analytics), but if they can't be bothered to fix this problem what other choice is there? 

0 Kudos
Burgerface
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can we get some kind of statement on whether "it's judder reduction, get over it?" is the final answer here? Is there a plan to address the issue with any type of configurable setting?

0 Kudos
Ilikebread
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wish I would have saw these posts before purchasing a Roku Tv. Hopefully I can still return it. What a joke

0 Kudos
Grsig
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is actually a years long problem with the tcl roku tvs. I don't know what happened to the old topic that was specific to the 6 series, they may have deleted it. Long story short, the problem won't be fixed because no one is looking into it. The mods on here are just bots, you can tell by how the bots don't understand that there is no option to turn on or off the smoothing, it's just applied by default. This is the while reason I stopped using streaming apps on my TV. 

0 Kudos
Jmvt05091
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is so frustrating. No option to turn it off. No customer support. Asking customers to provide detailed descriptions of a problem that’s being widely discussed in the media. If it’s not fixed soon I’m done with Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users!

Thanks for keeping us posted on this issue. 

It seems like you're noticing a reduction in judder, which occurs when content has fewer frames than what can be displayed on a TV. As a result, motions such as panning or zooming may not appear to be smooth, but just to clarify, this isn't motion smoothing. If you want to understand more about this, you can learn more here: How Roku reduces judder on TVs

In the meantime, kindly confirm if you can see an option where you can disable this.

Note: We'll mark this post as a solution for everyone's visibility. 

Your continuous patience and understanding are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.