Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoag445
Reel Rookie

Re: Motion Smoothing out of nowhere

Jump to solution

Hello

I sent you a private message 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users! 

We appreciate you reporting this to us. We are aware of this issue and are currently investigating it. 

If you are experiencing the same issue, kindly provide us with the following details below so we can include your device's information in the process:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Did this happen even before the software version 13? 
  • A video clip of the issue happening for reference. Perhaps an indication that the 'Motion Smoothing' has been enabled. Also, a photo of the Picture setting available during playback.
  • Specific troubleshooting steps you've taken to try to resolve the issue. 
  • The specific channel you are experiencing this with.

You may download the video clip via Google Drive and provide us with the link. If you prefer to send it via Private Message, kindly select my username and View Profile, and on the right side of the page, select Send this user a private message.

*We will mark this as a solution for everyone's visibility.*

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
jp223
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hopefully as more people experience it, the quicker we get a fix. The TV is unwatchable as it stands.

TK82
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've been experiencing this for a couple weeks now. TV says it last updated on 5/17, I would wager since then. I watch a lot of YouTube and it doesn't seem affected, so I didn't notice at first. I HATE, HATE, HATE, motion smoothing! So far as I can tell Roku has ruined my TV. This TV is at least a couple years old, and has always worked perfectly for me, until now. I have literally tried every possible thing to fix it, short of throwing it through the Roku headquarters front door (which may come next!) Roku is very aware of this problem since major media outlets are reporting on it, so don't give me no busy work Rokucarly. I have changed settings, adjusted everything including turning motion smoothing on, off, on, off, etc. Restarted a dozen times, tried adjusting from Roku app, I've even done a factory reset. It affects every app. It even affects movies\TV I play through Roku media player off my home server. I even searched the web to find a way to roll back the update. There is NO solution I can find to this problem. The only workaround I've found is using Chromecast or external Roku device plugged into an input. Doesn't seem to affect inputs for some reason, if it does it's not as severe (noticeable.) Haven't tried my PS5 through input, probably give that a go. So if you all at least want your TV usable try an external source through an input. Am I noticing a pattern with TCL? Don't think I've seen anyone owning any any other brand complaining. 

TCL 

Model 65S41

Software Version 13.0.0 Build 24056-CG

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is not necessarily Roku's fault. TCL is involved. Roku does the software. For the hardware side on a TV, TCL probably has some form of Hardware Development Kit or Hardware Abstraction Layer that the Roku software talks to. If TCL provided an updated HDK/HAL to Roku with the motion smoothing settings disabled, then Roku can't do anything.

0 Kudos
TK82
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

TCL being part of or the entire problem is possible I suppose. Some answers to clear that up would revolve around is this only affecting TCL TVs, I don't think it is but I'm not sure. Seems like I read at least Roku brand TVs are also affected, of course TCL may manufacture those as well since Roku farms out their branded devices cameras, TVs etc. Also, I've been assuming this whole time that "noise reduction" in my expert settings was my motion smoothing settings, since they all label them differently. I have a high, medium and low option in there. I can't find a clear answer as to whether this assumption is correct but this menu or it's settings seem to have no affect on my picture whatsoever. Outside of that all I know is this wasn't a problem and now it is and I didn't do or change anything to cause it. It just was that way randomly and seemingly permanently one day and nothing I do seems to make any difference. Outside of the noise reduction setting I have no other menu option in the regular or expert menu options for anything even slightly pertaining to motion smoothing\action smoothing etc. At the end of the day though, I don't care who's fault it is, my TV is trash now and they all need to figure it out and quick. 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We appreciate your posts regarding the issue with this feature. We understand and hear you.

If you're still experiencing the issue, please provide us with the details requested by our Roku engineers for investigation purposes.

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hoag445
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I literally can’t. There isn’t a setting. It doesn’t exist. 

0 Kudos
jp223
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So is this just never getting fixed?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.