Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prometheus0x001
Reel Rookie

Forced Ads on TV home and input selection

I am getting ads on my Roku TV, even though I purchased the TV and do not have a subscription.

In what universe is it ok for Roku to force ads on it's users, even though they just want to use the TV and not get forcefed ads.

Please provide a fix to remove ads. 

Will never purchase or recommend Roku, if Roku doesn't provide a workaround to remove ads from the TV I own and paid for.

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Forced Ads on TV home and input selection

If you have a Roku account and use apps, you get ads.  If you want to use your TV as a "dumb" TV, factory reset it and don't link it to a Roku account.  You might want to read the Roku Terms of Service that you have to agree to when you set up a Roku account.

P.S. - there's no such thing as a Roku subscription.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
prometheus0x001
Reel Rookie

• The key issue is that we should use the TV, like a computer and should be able to use it without ads on the homescreen.
  • Ads make sense within apps, but not on the main screen.
  • There is a huge demand for open-source TV UI, as the processor and performance of "smart" TV is lacking on both fronts.
  • Don't force anything on a customer and let them have the freedom to build, create and innovate.
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @prometheus0x001,

Thanks for the post.

We understand that there has been an issue with the ads you receive on the Roku platform. The commercials and ads on streaming services and channels only shows when accessing these particular channels and content. However, we would like to know more about this issue and humbly request an image regarding the ads that popped up on your Roku Home screen. show

Additionally, we appreciate your feedback and rest assured that we'll pass your input to the appropriate Roku team so it can be reviewed. Once again, we value your input, and your satisfaction is essential to us.

Your response would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
adamc
Binge Watcher

I will never buy another Roku TV, given that they started pushing ads above "Apps & Inputs". I don't use any Roku channels. (I have an NVIDIA shield, which is already annoying enough.)

The en**bleep**tification of TVs is here.

0 Kudos