Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qleth92
Channel Surfer

Cable Box connected. I can't change channels.

I work in an assisted living facility. A resident has a Onn Roku tv, and we've connected a DTA box to the TV and we have service. But apparently universal remotes don't work with Roku devices, and the Roku remote itself can't change the TV channels. 

I need to find a way that my resident with memory issues can easily change the channel on their TV.

Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Cable Box connected. I can't change channels.

@Qleth92 When you say DTA box is this a cable box?  If this is a cable box who is the cable provider?  I have a TCL Roku TV with a Spectrum cable box attached.  Go into settings on the Onn Roku TV and set the TV to start on the HDMI input the cable box is attached to.  With Spectrum cable remote you can turn on the TV and control volume.  Then just use the cable box remote to change channels.  Once this is set up the resident does not need the Onn Roku TV remote.  

0 Kudos

If you have a cable box connected to your television, and you're unable to change channels, you can try the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue:

1. Check Connections: Make sure that all the cables connecting the cable box to your TV are securely plugged in. Ensure that the HDMI, component, or coaxial cable is properly connected. If using an HDMI cable, try a different HDMI port on your TV.

2. Power Cycle: Turn off both the TV and the cable box. Unplug the power cables from both devices. Wait for about 30 seconds and then plug them back in. Turn on the cable box first and then the TV. This can often resolve minor issues.

3. Remote Control: Ensure that the batteries in your cable box remote control are not dead. Replace the batteries if necessary. Check for any obstructions between the remote and the cable box that might interfere with the signal.

4. Input Source: Verify that you have selected the correct input source on your TV. Use the TV remote to cycle through the input options until you reach the one where the cable box is connected.

5. Cable Provider: It's possible that there might be an issue with your cable service. Contact your cable provider to check if there are service outages or known issues in your area.

6. Check the Cable Box Display: Look at the front display or indicator lights on the cable box. They can provide valuable information about its status. If there's an error message or a particular indicator light is flashing, consult the cable box's manual or contact your cable provider for assistance.

7. Remote Control Pairing: Some cable boxes require the remote control to be paired. Refer to the cable box manual for instructions on how to pair the remote if needed.

8. Remote Control Programming: If you're using a universal remote control, make sure it is correctly programmed to work with your cable box. You may need to reprogram it if it's not responding.

9. Reset or Reboot the Cable Box: Your cable box may have a reset or reboot option. Consult the cable box's manual or contact your cable provider for guidance on how to perform a reset.

10. Technical Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider contacting your cable provider's technical support for further assistance. They may need to send a technician to check the cable box or your cable connection.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue preventing you from changing channels on your TV with the cable box.

0 Kudos
Qleth92
Channel Surfer

It's a cable box and the provider is Spectrum.

0 Kudos
Qleth92
Channel Surfer

And we cannot change the channels with the spectrum remotes.  None of the universal codes work on this brand of TV. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Even if your remotes aren’t as “universal” as they claim to be, aren’t the channels still changed on the cable box anyway?  My parents have been on three cable systems in the last 15 years and that’s how it’s always been for them.  The last time around, I went through 4 remotes (from the retirement home) before I found one with new enough firmware to control the volume on their newish Samsung TV, but all of the remotes could change channels because that was happening on the cable box and all the cable box remotes are preprogrammed for that.

(Cable remotes with older firmware would just ignore newer codes - ie: you'd do the thing to get them into programming mode, but if you used some of cable companies higher code numbers, remotes with older firmware would just ignore them.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Qleth92
Channel Surfer

Not with this setup. The DTA or cable box just transmits the channel information to the TV. It's a basic setup for businesses with large quantities of users. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Do you have a link to the box? How is the box connected to the TV?  I’ve searched for Spectrum DTA but so far have only found typical cable boxes. Even when I find something that specifically says it is a “mini DTA box” it is still connected either via HDMI or a coaxial cable with the TV set to channel 3 or 4.

0 Kudos
Qleth92
Channel Surfer

These are older boxes. Motorola brand. Trust me. I have the instructions for them. You cannot change the channel via the box. It's changed via the Universal remote that comes with the box.  

I have tried several codes to key the remote to the TV. Most don't work at all and some allow for volume control and power control and that's it. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

When I say “channels still changed on the cable box” I do mean via the remote that comes with the box.  Ie: box remote tells box to display a different channel.  But, yes, they can be programmed to control the power and volume of the TV - that's what I've done for my parents a few times. 

Do you have a model number?  Maybe I can google up a manual.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.