Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Annoying Pop Up Menu Tcl 50s425

Jump to solution

Why do you keep asking for a screenshot, or someone's particular model, etc, and then never come back to offer any advice or fix for this aggravating issue?  What is the use of giving you images and technical information, when nothing's done about it?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Screenshots are extremely valuable to determine exactly what the menu is that is appearing. Sometimes the description provided isn't sufficient to determine exactly what is being displayed. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
quipsterk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It does appear to be an issue with the remote (at least in my case). To test this theory, I pulled up the streaming channel menu using the left directional button on the remote, selected another streaming channel, and then quickly removed the batteries from the remote. Lo and behold, the menu did not annoyingly pop up again. So I put the batteries back in, repeated the process and the annoying pop up menu returned.

One thing to note is that I have a sound bar that partially blocks the front of my TCL 6 series tv. If I change the channel and put the remote down beside me (like one normally does when watching tv), the annoying pop up problem occurs. But if I change the channel and continue to aim the remote up and over my sound bar, pointing directly at the bottom of the tv, the pop up menu does not appear. 

Anyone else able to test and verify this theory? Seems like it might be an issue with the remote signal being partially obscured. Makes me wonder why they put the sensor at the bottom of the tv--knowing that everyone uses a sound bar nowadays...

0 Kudos
quipsterk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim I took the batteries out (which were brand new by the way) and happily the pop up menu didn't appear when changing the channel. Obviously I can't keep the batteries out of the remote forever though. What do you suggest I do? Is there a way to reset just the remote?

renojim

Jump to solution

@quipsterk, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the remote.  Can you move the sound bar temporarily or raise the TV above it to see if it still happens?

You could always get a Voice Remote that doesn't need a clear line of sight to the TV (except to turn it off or on).

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
quipsterk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim Moved my sound bar out of the way and sadly the pop up is still happening. Literally the only way I can prevent the channel info pop up from happening is by selecting a channel and then removing the batteries from the remote. That's why I'm saying it seems to be a problem with the remote or its programming.

I have an older Roku device on a Vizio tv in another room. I am able to watch the Roku streaming channels without this pop up problem. So again, it does seem to be something wrong with the TCL Roku TV remote.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm even thinking of hooking up my old Roku device to my new Roku TV--because it has been that annoying to use this remote lately.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm quite sure screen shots help, and two people have already posted one, yet I've not seen you come with any solution to this or other issues going on. What's the point of adding more info & pics, if the issues aren't addressed?  And why in the world is this thread marked as Solved?? It's nowhere near solved, and is quite distracting and aggravating, especially if what you are watching has subtitles, as the pop-up completely blocks all the dialog!  When is this going to be fixed?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@quipsterk, it does sound like a faulty remote.  You can try "plucking" the buttons with your fingernail in case one is sticking.  You'd have to go through TCL to get a replacement remote or you can go out and buy a Roku Voice Remote that would pair with your TV and then it wouldn't matter if the sound bar is blocking the front of the TV since it doesn't use IR (except to turn the TV on, so maybe it does matter Smiley Happy ).

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are experiencing an issue with a pop up menu showing when watching OTA channels, can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The pop up menu happens on Roku streamed channels, not OTA channels. I have a pretty new TCL Roku tv, with the latest system software. So it's obviously something wrong with either your transmission, or the remote, as another remote &/or system issue is that far too often, when I'm on one channel, then begin the long slog, manually scrolling through the hundreds of channels, it'll suddenly (often, just as I'm about to reach the channel I'm looking for, or else when I stop to read what's on) just pop back to original channel I started from, or worse, it'll jump to the station just above or below it!!

This is greatly annoying, (as if having to scroll through hundreds of channels isn't bad enough), making navigation excruciatingly frustrating. Is this really 2022, shouldn't basic functions just work, as they're supposed to?  And I've already tried calling TCL's customer service, and all he had me do was the usual, reset & reboot the TV. That does nothing, but wipe all the listings, making me wait the hours it may take before they all fill back in.  I've never ever had problems like this with any tv's remote, cable box, or Amazon fire sticks, etc...

0 Kudos