Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quipsterk
Binge Watcher

Re: Annoying Pop Up Menu Tcl 50s425

Jump to solution

I have discovered a workaround that prevents this annoying pop up from happening. The only drawback is that you'll have to watch the Roku streaming channels in a separate area from your OTA channels. But it definitely beats having to see that stupid pop up! Here's what I did:

1. Hide all of the Roku streaming channels from your Live TV input. This is found in Settings: TV Inputs: Live TV (or whatever you named your OTA input). Check the "Hide all streaming channels" box.

2. (Optional) Rename your "Live TV" input by hovering over it and hitting the * button. I named mine "Antenna TV" as to not confuse it with the Live TV left menu navigation option (see info below).

Once you've done this, your new "Antenna TV" input (or whatever you wish to call it) where you'll go when you want to view OTA channels. There should not be any of the Roku streaming channels within this input now--just your OTA channels.

To watch the Roku streaming channels, navigate to the "Live TV" menu option to the left of your home screen icons. If you've favorited channels, they should all be there just as you left them.

Like I said, this workaround makes you watch OTA and streaming channels from 2 separate places--but for me the channel info pop up has disappeared. So I consider this a victory! Hope it works for others.

0 Kudos
quipsterk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have discovered a workaround that prevents this annoying pop up from happening. The only drawback is that you'll have to watch the Roku streaming channels in a separate area from your OTA channels. But it definitely beats having to see that stupid pop up! Here's what I did:

1. Hide all of the Roku streaming channels from your Live TV input. This is found in Settings: TV Inputs: Live TV (or whatever you named your OTA input). Check the "Hide all streaming channels" box.

2. (Optional) Rename your "Live TV" input by hovering over it and hitting the * button. I named mine "Antenna TV" as to not confuse it with the Live TV left menu navigation option (see info below).

Once you've done this, your new "Antenna TV" input (or whatever you wish to call it) is where you'll go when you want to view OTA channels. There shouldn't be any Roku streaming channels within this input now--just your OTA channels.

To watch the Roku streaming channels, navigate to the "Live TV" menu option to the left of your home screen icons. If you've favorited channels, they should all be there just as you left them.

Like I said, this workaround makes you watch OTA and streaming channels from 2 separate places--but for me the channel info pop up has disappeared. So I consider this a victory! Hope it works for others.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@quipsterk, thanks for posting your solution!  Nice job on figuring that out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It may be a workaround, but it's hardly a solution, especially since I often pop back & forth between a streamed channel, and antenna ones, so having to first go to the home screen, then switching inputs, every time I wish to go to one or another, isn't much better than having the info banner popping up now & then. I think the Roku "developers/engineers" need to fix this, and some other very annoying issues (video going black, while audio remains, scrolling suddenly jumping back to initial station, etc), rather than counting on (hoping) users come up with more workarounds.

Something on Roku's side is obviously causing all this buggy behavior, as it's happening with people using different tv & Roku models, input channels, remotes, etc.
I just wish the Roku representatives on this forum would actually provide more assistance and solutions, than simply asking everyone for their tv models, OS, screenshots, etc, and then never coming back with helpful information.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Nearly a week later, and still no one's gotten back to offer any help, and the situation is sure not fixing itself! I'm getting the pop-up menu on both over the air & streamed channels, and the bouncing back to the first station, after scrolling through hundreds of other channels is still happening, far too often. As is having many of the streaming stations suddenly have a black screen, while the audio continues. These are serious issues, yet no one from Roku has any response?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I also had (past tense) the extremely annoying pop-up problem...about every 60 seconds or so. I understand the frustration! Here is what I found the problem to be: 

When you go the store that sells tv's...there are popup features that appear on their demo screens. These popups are giving customers some the stats about roku and what the benefits are. But when you buy a Roku ready tv and bring it home, you see those same popups. The problem is in the TV settings. In any TV that has this problem, regardless of brand, you have to go to TV settings to prevent this popup. From tv settings, you might also have to go from tv settings to 'picture'. There will eventually be a place that says something like "store mode", or "marketing", or "advertisement" and however it's marked you will see a place where it says "on"...just click it to say "off". Thats it. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.