Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLW-C
Reel Rookie

wrong "local" channel - zipcode is correct

My local channels should be those in Seattle.  On Peacock & Hulu, I get Spokane.  I've reentered my zipcode in the Roku setting on the TV--nothing changes.  At 7:00AM, I don't care what the traffic is 300 miles away!  Paramount does broadcast correctly.  How do I fix this problem? 

Bev the Confused!

6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: wrong "local" channel - zipcode is correct

@BLW-C-

Some channel apps determine your location by the IP (Internet Protocol) number assigned to you by your internet provider. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change your apparent location and thus the local stations you are provided.

You can use an IP info website like the ones listed below to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, you can contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Some IP info websites:
https://www.iplocation.net/
https://www.iplocation.com/
https://tools.keycdn.com/geo
https://www.ipfingerprints.com/
A web search for "IP Location" can find many more.

I'd suggest checking on several of these as it seems to be an inexact science. They may not all give the same results and you don't know what service your channel app uses to check IP location..

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jeanelle

Did you ever figure this out?  I’m having the same problem also Seattle/Spokane

0 Kudos
Capricorn
Reel Rookie

I just started having this problem this week. Since I installed the Rv last year, guide has been correct, yet this week it now shows some stations incorrectly, and much of the guide is wrong. Zip is correct, and my ip location on all 4 sites is correct. What can I check next? Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jeanelle @Capricorn,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with your local channels since it was showing incorrect stations. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) Do you have an antenna that is plugged in at the back of your TV?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Capricorn
Reel Rookie

Mine is a TCL Roku TV. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. After going through everything and rescanning channels, the guide is not updated and correct again. Not sure why it went t haywire. It has worked well for a year , then suddenly went wonky the other night. The list of i.p. location check sites earlier was helpful to assure me that the issue was probably tv related and not internet.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Capricorn,

Thank you for the additional information!
We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please be advised that depending on where you live, you may be able to receive free "over-the-air" TV broadcasts from nearby TV stations using an HDTV antenna. The placement of the HDTV antenna can affect which TV stations you may be able to receive and the quality of the TV signal. It is normal for the initial channel scan to take a while. You can visit Antenna Web to learn more about HDTV antennas and how to access "over-the-air" TV in your area.

We hope this helps.
Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.