Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
68superbee
Reel Rookie

using search option not working

When using the search option... I can enter my search topic but when I hit the 'ok' button the Roku shows 'loading' but after a short time it reboots itself and never finds my search item.  Solutions?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: using search option not working

Hi @68superbee,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We would be happy to see what we can do to help with Roku Search. As a first step, we would recommend restarting your Roku device by going to Settings > System > System restart or Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart and If you have a Roku TV, you may try unplugging your TV for 10-15 minutes then plugging it back in.

Please keep us posted and provide additional information if you are still having any issues with your Roku device after following these steps.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
68superbee
Reel Rookie

Have tried the suggestions, but they did not work. I have a Roku Express on a Samsung TV. It is connected through the TV HDMI (ARC) port. On the other TV HDMI port is an HDMI switch with a BluRay player, Samsung DVD/VHS player and the cable box  connected  to ports on the switch. I have tried various combinations of connections with the switch and TV HDMI ports. I also tried my old ROKU 3 (in place of the Roku Express) and the 'search' function worked perfectly on that Roku. Hope the additional info is useful!

Thanks so much for any help !

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@68superbee 

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
68superbee
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your help. I have it plugged in with the supplied power cord. I should mention that my Roku is a model 3941X2=Roku Express 4K+. In my previous post I wrote that I had a Roku Express which is a  slightly different model.

Thanks always for your help

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@68superbee 

Appreciate the response.

For clarification, when you said your Roku device is plugged in with the supplied power cord, do you mean it's powered by the power adapter plugged into a working wall outlet? If yes and the issue persists, we recommend performing a factory reset on your device. 

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

For more information, visit this link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jwl72
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue. I am using a streaming stick on a downstairs tv and the standalone device upstairs on a different tv. Both are having the same problem. Whenever I search for content using the voice search, it comes back "no results found". When using the actual "search" option, same thing. I've also noticed that as I'm typing the letters in for the search, whereas in the past it would give me suggestions based on every character I am inputting into the search bar, NOTHING is showing up. No suggestions at all.

I've been using this streaming stick for almost a year now and it has performed flawlessly. Same as the device upstairs. Now nothing. What is going on?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jwl72,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue with Roku Search showing no results.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

Our Roku team would like to take a look to see if we can help here. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos