Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gryphonix
Reel Rookie

Re: Why was Tidal removed from channels?

Jump to solution

I asked Tidal and this is the answer I got from customer support: "We appreciate you bringing this inquiry to our attention. Unfortunately, TIDAL is no longer supported on Roku devices. You can still enjoy access to TIDAL on smartphones, tablets, desktop, the web player, or other support devices."

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

So this sounds like Tidal is the one who pulled it. Probably laziness or cost cutting to remove a unique platform. Android/GoogleTV/FireTV are all the same basic thing. Apple devices probably all share the same basic programming. Roku is too different and may not have enough users to justify the costs of maintaining the app.

Evilroy

Jump to solution

100% agree. If I can't use Tidal on it, then Roku is going in the trash.

RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We understand that you are inquiring about accessing the Tidal channel on Roku, and it seems that it's no longer available in the channel store.

When a channel is no longer accessible, it typically means it has been removed from the Roku platform, sometimes at the request of the content provider.

While this may be disappointing news, fear not! Roku's Channel Store boasts a vast array of channels catering to various interests and preferences. If you're seeking similar content or exploring new options, here are some suggestions:

1. Featured Channels: Check out the selection of featured channels on the Roku Channel Store homepage.
  2. Recommended Channels: Explore channels recommended based on your viewing habits and preferences.
  3. Top Free Channels: Discover the top free channels available on Roku.
  4. Browse by Categories: Dive into specific categories such as Music, Entertainment, News, and more to find channels that align with your interests.

For more detailed information, you can refer to this link: Why is an app no longer available on my Roku streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Thank you for your ongoing support of Roku and for being valuable members of our community. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

This was done by Tidal, not Roku. Tidal has decided they no longer want to support the Roku platform. It's likely because their main focus is higher quality audio streaming, and the Roku hardware simply doesn't support the codecs they desire to use.

So it's purely a business decision on Tidal's part. If you prefer higher quality audio, then a Roku isn't your best choice in the first place.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092

Jump to solution

@SLOlife805 wrote:

I use Tidal almost every day on Roku, extremely disappointed, in fact do disappointed it may be time to stop being a Roku user, which I have been for about 15 years, Roku’s on every TV in my house, and have bought Roku’s as gifts for family members, but if Tidal is gone as an app on Roku (and I don’t care if Roku removed or Tidal did or Roku did it is a vital part of my home system more than happy to leave Roku for a another streaming device like AppleTV, Amazon’s Fire or Googles Chrome,

This was a Tidal decision, not Roku. Your complaint is with Tidal. However, based on their business model I don't expect them to be concerned with Roku users. Roku hardware does not support the higher quality codecs used by Tidal, so you need to choose something else if you wish to continue using their service.

Dan

TerryMclure
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just a Roku user here... Thanks for your input! I should say 'a soon to be former Roku user'. In your opinion, is the Fire TV Stick a good alternative?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I have a Fire TV Cube (not the Stick) and the Nvidia Shield, both of which are Android based players. I'm not certain either can output truly high quality audio, but I do know that both of these can bitstream lossless audio from ripped DVDs and Blu Ray discs. So in theory they should be decent for streaming Tidal audio.

I just looked on Tidal's website to see what codecs they use. They do have a low quality plan, which is likely just MP3 files, like all the rest. But they also list Lossless HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos, and I don't believe Roku supports either of those. Roku supports Atmos when it's streamed in Dolby Digital+, but I am uncertain exactly the codec used by Tidal. I would guess the Shield would support both, and the Fire TV might depend on which device you choose. Just remember that HiRes FLAC and Dolby Atmos playback would require using an AVR that supports those codecs to get the full audio quality experience. 

Dan

SteppingStone01
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If it makes you feel any better, it's no longer available on Amazon Fire TV devices either. I think they are trying to force people to cancel subscriptions to shut down their service or something. Nothing else makes any sense.

vitalogy

Jump to solution

Hola. En mi caso encontre la solucion usando Plex y vinculando la cuenta de Tidal, Ahora solo tengo que abrir Plex y de ahi abro Tidal. la interface es muy diferente pero se puede seguir usando en Roku.

Hello. In my case I found the solution using Plex and linking the Tidal account. Now I just have to open Plex and from there I open Tidal. The interface is very different but it can still be used on Roku.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.