Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerrylopez
Reel Rookie

Re: Stop the spanish ads on english language chosen content!!!!

If I want Spanish ads I would learn Spanish and move to Mexico. Since there are no more Mexicans left in Mexico as they are all over here I can convert the language to English !

TeeKay7
Reel Rookie

Re: Spanish Commercials on Roku

🙄😞 good day to all,   since fall 2023~ it has become more apparent & invasive of foreign language commercials...even though roku settings are configured to"english as preferred language".     what a waste of corporate investment of ads being presented in foreign language to consumers who don't have clue of what they are conveying!! most of ads are asian/spanish/portuguese/thailand & the list grows!!   roku user goes through a maze of support topics --yet useless resolution in privacy controls.

what's worse & disrespectful is these ads interrupt an urgent weather alert or during a devastation of human lives/a funeral memorial or educational  social helpful topics.  during the ad interruption,  one can though, just simply jump to another app...then  back track  or prepare a snack/do chores.  society seems to be losing more "freedom of choice" being controlled by greedy corporate or politics creating a divisive america  from kindness & love to violence & hatred.

roku was the best media player entering the market when it"launched its first streaming player in 2008. the streaming revolution now had a platform. viewers loved it. within six years, the company sold more than 10 million devices".  so please respect your customers by offering simple control app "blocking foreign language" invasion to english speaking consumers.   roku system settings is ineffective.  thank you!!  loyal 15 year roku 3 user!!!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve never seen anything like that, but of course, that demonstrates one of the strengths of the Roku platform: If you don’t like a channel, then there are plenty of other channels available.

Of course, if it’s a commercial-oriented channel, then the advertiser is the customer.  As such, things like funerals and weather alerts are interrupting the customer’s paid content, not the other way around.

If you do wish to watch commercials, you may still be able to find a channel where the customers are more to your liking.  Or, just be done with the commercials and watch something that doesn’t have them.  Lots of options on Roku.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

This whole "conversation" is just plain stupid. 

"it has become more apparent & invasive of foreign language commercials"

Invasive? Really? Like, is someone pounding on your door forcing their way into your home beating you up because you don't speak their language? Invasive is a pretty strong and unnecessary term. See below for further insight.

"...even though roku settings are configured to"english as preferred language"."

Preferred language has nothing to do with what's played in ads. All that does is set the language of your system menus and preferred channels that are suggested for you.

"what a waste of corporate investment of ads being presented in foreign language to consumers who don't have clue of what they are conveying!! most of ads are asian/spanish/portuguese/thailand & the list grows!!"   

As opposed to the time wasted on this useless topic when you could just learn to use your mute button?

"roku user goes through a maze of support topics --yet useless resolution in privacy controls."

No idea what privacy has to do with any of this. 

"what's worse & disrespectful is these ads interrupt an urgent weather alert or during a devastation of human lives/a funeral memorial or educational  social helpful topics."

Stop it. ALL ads, regardless of language do this.

"during the ad interruption,  one can though, just simply jump to another app...then  back track  or prepare a snack/do chores."

Right. One could, couldn't one? Or use that mute button. 😜

"society seems to be losing more "freedom of choice" being controlled by greedy corporate or politics creating a divisive america  from kindness & love to violence & hatred."

Seriously? Freedom of choice? Controlled? Paranoid much? And who's really spreading the hatred here? Try looking in the mirror. smh

"so please respect your customers by offering simple control app "blocking foreign language" invasion to english speaking consumers."

Aaaand there it is again. "Invasion." Read a history book or two. Spaniards were the original invaders here. The rest of Europe followed. Unless ALL you're ancestors were/are indigenous, your ancestors were invaders here. Stop with the "dog whistles." We shouldn't even call them dog whistles anymore. They are so loud and clear to everyone except the one's blowing them it would be funny if it weren't so disgusting. 

If you want respect show some yourself. 

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
djscps99

Knock off the Spanish ads on English channels

I'm watching English-speaking content because I speak English.  If I spoke Spanish and wanted Spanish content, I would watch Spanish-speaking channels.  See how neat that works out?  So knock it off--I don't want to see Spanish ads!!!  I don't speak Spanish!!!  Idiots!!!

Void

I can’t stand it either. All tv services have required add channels for external languages outside of ENGLISH in the United States. I don’t want to learn a different language through tv. It’s redundant and annoying. 100% represent. Over it. Truthfully cultural integration is based off where you are not where you came from. This is the newcomers responsibility to learn the countries language predominantly spoken, not try to change a country that has existed before them.

denise1963

Re: Stop playing spanish commercials in usa!

There's no reason to play Spanish speaking commercials during an English speaking show, think about that. Put Spanish captions on if you want to reach the very few Spanish speaking people that might be watching an English speaking show.

HippGordo
Reel Rookie

Re: Stop playing spanish commercials in usa!

Absolutely correct!

0 Kudos
Wendykf
Reel Rookie

Yes it is....now they've increased to at least one but usually two of them every commercial break...I live in Florida where speaking Spanish is shoved down our throats !! I should not have it FORCED on me in my own home..this is America !  The language is English !  Plain and simple.  It's great it doesn't bother you but having to listen to it at every commercial break puts me in an unpleasant mood...I mute them and then end up missing parts of my shows ...looks like my 2 Roku will be on eBay soon it's increasing to where all of them will be in Spanish...Xfinity has my Internet I'm making it a package deal now !  I think Roku has a lot of oversized balls to do this in the first place I hope rest of u get rid of yours get fire TV cable or satellite, YouTube TV, or Hulu live. There are many choices out there !!

0 Kudos
timb60

It's all about the money. These streaming channels don't give a flying **bleep** about the people that PAY to watch the programs. This is nothing but disrespect to all English speaking subscribers and it's getting worse everyday. To put this in perspective what if they targeted African Americans by putting only programming that spoke native African language that they can't understand. We're all being used by advertising companies that we don't care about in the first place. What we do care about is our cash being used in a way that favors them and gives the rest of us a big🖕

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.