Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Is Free Movie House legit?

While watching some live TV on Philo, there is an ad for something called "FreeMovieHouse.com", which actually redirects to "Freemoviehouse.tv". They say you can see newly released movies for free. Seems VERY sketchy. Further, I don't see any app in the Roku store for them. The web site just asks to create an account. Seems doubly-sketchy.

Anyone have any idea on just what this is? Is it an actual video service, or do they just give links to questionable ID's to log into services for free?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Is Free Movie House legit?

Hi @andyross

Thank you for the post!

It is difficult to determine the legitimacy of FreeMovieHouse.com or Freemoviehouse.tv without further information. However, websites or services that claim to offer newly released movies for free should be approached with caution, as they could potentially be illegal or fraudulent.

It is also worth noting that if there is no app in the Roku store for this service. Roku carefully reviews and curates the channels and apps available in its store, so the absence of a particular app could indicate that it has not met Roku's standards or guidelines.

If you are unsure about the legitimacy of a website or service, it is generally best to err on the side of caution and not provide any personal information or payment details. It is always a good idea to do your own research and read reviews from other users before signing up for any service or website.

Overall, it is recommended to stick with reputable and legal streaming services that are available through the official Roku channel store or other trusted app stores.

Warm regards,
Lianna

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@andyross 

Freemoviehouse.tv apparently is linked to "The Movie House" which has a presence in the Roku Channel Store.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/d1f88eaf8287503497af4cdefdaba594/the-movie-house-tv

You should be good to go from what I am currently seeing as available, but will install this evening and update this posting if something sticks out. (The new release thing is kind of a loyalty benefit).  Redbox sends me free coupons to watch new releases so may be something similar.

https://themoviehouse.tv

----

[Edit] Ok, looks like Movie House is legit enough.  Their actual library is actually older movies and you can earn/win free new premium movies.  Basically you receive a gift card/coupon via email and can choose to redeem/watch the earned movie on either Vudu/Fandango or Amazon. (on your Roku device).  The premium movies available to be earned are listed in the top row. (additionally, it provides a link to just purchase a gift card from Fandango to watch these movies if you don't want to go through the "earning" process).

Kind of a interactive channel/app though. (some may say gimicky).  You can certainly just watch their library/standard movies freely and easily enough.  However, they offer a Roku Remote app, and a Rewards spin wheel on the home screen of their channel/app.  By using their Roku remote app and spinning the wheel, you can earn free premium movies.

I prefer just straightforward channels with content.  However, I don't think anything inherently wrong or scammy with the Movie House.  Basically, the more you interact with it (watching the standard movies in their library and spinning the wheel), the more you are rewarded with movies.  I received a free movie just for installing channel.  Apparently takes up to 24hrs to see the movie reward/gift card in your email. (let's see if the movie coupon comes through and if this leads to spam.  According to their privacy policy, it shouldn't).

Update: Received a 5.00 gift card a few hours later towards the rental of any movie. (I had selected Amazon when prompted earlier so added to my existing balance.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

andyross
Roku Guru

Still sounds very weird and creepy. How do they make money? There must be lots of ads somewhere, and lots of invasive tracking. Using an app to 'spin a wheel' seems like that app is probably doing some extreme tracking on your phone.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Info on data collected per their Android app page:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/datasafety?id=com.roku.movieremote

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Cocoabean

It is legit but even the "premium" movies are old.  

Once you get the choice of what free movie you want you can request an Amazon movie, as it gives you a $5.00 credit on Amazon and you can use the gift card for a movie or use the $5.00 give card for Amazon purchases. 

0 Kudos
sistersue

When I started using this streaming service spin to win gift card it gave me choice of Amazon or Vudu/Fandango to receive. I liked Amazon because I could use for movie or other purchases. For the last 3 gift cards I have earned they only gave me option of Vudu. When trying to apply to Vudu account it will not accept code. I contacted Vudu and they told me it was expired code. When I looked at email from Movie House it does show date of 6/30/23 to use code by in the fine print. My last spin win I tried to follow links from Movie House site or link in email and they go nowhere. I have sent 3 different messages for help from the Movie House web site and have never gotten a reply, not even an automated one to say they got my message. So now I wonder about the Movie House. 

0 Kudos
Darline1

I have had the same thing happen with several codes as recent as March 2024 (2 this month) Also when I brought it to their attention  my account is now locked. The Spinner has a lock icon over it.

0 Kudos